• Advertisement

4x4 wanted

If you need something post it here and maybe someone can help you out

4x4 wanted

Postby IronPaw » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:26 am

Hi folks.
I'm a new member. Just retired (was a tanker driver), and looking for some 4x4 adventures.
However, no truck makes it tricky!
Looking for a nice tidy 4x4 for wife and I to do a few trips in.
Live in Richmond, Nelson area so don't want to travel to Auckland or Invercargill to inspect!
Maybe something up to about $10k?
Any thoughts about what's good or not would be useful too.
Not wanting to climb Mount Everest, but do want a 'real' 4 wheel drive (not a RAV, etc).
Wizard, Big Horn, etc would be good (maybe?).
Thanks.
IronPaw
Isuzu Baby

City: Richmond
Vehicle: None yet

Re: 4x4 wanted

Postby geeves » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:06 am

First how much 4wding have you done before?
Do you want short or long wheel base?
10k does give a fair amount of choice but I would suggest holding back 2k of that for some decent tyres. Other mods can wait if you are new to 4wding. There is nothing worse than buying your first 4wd spending a fortune upgrading it only to find out you dont like 4wding and that those mods didnt improve its selling price. Keep it for 6 months before doing any other mods.
I like my current swb bighorn but they are hard to find. They are a good comprimes between short and long. They have more room than Mus swb pajeros and even 5 door suzukis but still shorter than lwb so you can have more fun. If you are more interested in touring esspecially if you want to take guests then lwb makes a lot of sense The Wizard and bighorn are both good wagons as are many other brands. Only thing to watch is to avoid the 3 litre 4jx1 engine.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby IronPaw » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:58 pm

Thanks geeves.
Yes, plenty of off roading when young (old ex NZ Army Chev 'puddle jumper' that I repowered with a Bedford 6 because it bolted straight in and gave me a full oil pressure motor not the old Chev splash oiling system which wasn't very good going up or down a steep hill).
Some lucky sod in the West Coast bought it when I got married and had to sell toys to get a house!
Prefer LWB 3.1 Big Horn or 3.1 Wizard ('cos I think Prado's are well over priced).
Although to be fair I must admit that I have been attracted to the 'Dark Side' (Jeep Cherokee 2.7 diesel).
Would buy the Jeep probably for comfort, but Big Horns probably heaps better for parts anywhere around NZ.
Mainly 'Soft Roading' as missus doesn't want to go wading in 4 foot deep water (got soft as she got older).
But, it must be capable of the tough stuff 'just in case'.
Don't like Suzukis at all. Fixed too many petrol and diesel to like them.
Yep, know about the 4JX1 engine. Thanks for taking the time though. Much appreciated.
Last edited by IronPaw on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
IronPaw
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:47 am

not sure about your dark side. 2.5 jeep is also a hand grenade minus pin
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby IronPaw » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:51 am

Ooops, just edited that.
Should have said 2.7 diesel (it's the Mercedes 2.7 motor, and auto gearbox too)
IronPaw
Isuzu Baby

Return to Wanted section