• Advertisement

New MU! Odometer,speedometer,gears,locker, etc questions

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

New MU! Odometer,speedometer,gears,locker, etc questions

Postby wgripp » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:53 am

Good morning from the USA!

I am purchasing a 1991 Japanese 2.8 turbo diesel MU, and I have a few questions. (Yes, I've searched the forums for this information, but I've been unsuccessful.)

Here are a few picutures of the truck:

https://cdn.motorlot.com/media/W1siZiIs ... 68752.jpeg

https://cdn.motorlot.com/media/W1siZiIs ... 68725.jpeg

In order to determine the gears I currently have, I'm assuming I need to open the differentials. Here are pictures of them:

https://cdn.motorlot.com/media/W1siZiIs ... 68610.jpeg

https://cdn.motorlot.com/media/W1siZiIs ... 68604.jpeg

First, I read the head gaskets often blow on the gas engines and that OEM replacements are highly recommended since the aftermarket ones don't last long. Where can I find OEM differential gasket seals?

Also, what is the top speed of a stock 2.8 turbo diesel?

Where can I order a gear to calibrate the speedometer?

I may need to regear the vehicle. It has 285/75 R16 tires installed. I also heard Japanese vehicles are geared for Japanese roads, where the max speed limit is 60 mph or so. With a 2.8 turbo diesel engine, a Japanese drivetrain, 32.8 inch tires, and 80 mph speed limits in my state, I'm sure I need to change my gearing. Does anyone have any suggestions on gear ratios? Once I determine the ratio needed, where can I purchase the gears?

Speaking of the rear differential, my father purchased at least one locker for his first gen trooper. (I'm 80% sure his Trooper was a 1989 model; it was definitely after 1987.) I can't remember if he bought a front locker and/or a rear locker. (I think these are the pneumatic ARB units.) Unfortunately, he passed away, so I can no longer ask him. Thankfully, I think the parts are still in storage. Will the front and rear lockers from a Trooper work in a MU?

Since the vehicle has oversized tires, it has a "mushy" feel when driving. The steering isn't super-responsive and the vehicle doesn't feel the most stable at highway speeds. Are there any stabilization kits that can be purchased to mitigate these symptoms?

Furthermore, I'd like to purchase a front winch bumper, a rear bumper, and rock sliders. Does anyone else produce such items besides Calmini? (Recent reviews of Calmini have caused me to question whether or not I should do business with them.)

Thanks!
Bill
wgripp
Isuzu Baby

City: Montana
Vehicle: J-Spec 1991 Isuzu Mu (aka Isuzu Amigo, aka Opel Frontera)

Re: New MU! Odometer,speedometer,gears,locker, etc questions

Postby geeves » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi
Looks clean and tidy. Im guessing this is already in USA.
Forget about head gaskets you have to do something pretty bad to blow a head gasket on the 4jb1 engine but gasket sets are available on aliexpress.
Gear ratios are 4.3 or 4.56 You can tell by lifting one wheel and turning it while counting the driveshaft rotations. The answer is half the number
If the locker is for a 89 trooper And this had either a 2.6 petrol or any diesel engine it will fit. If it had a v6 then it probably wont. 89 was series 2 and for USA came with 2.3 or 2.6 isuzu sourced 4 cylinder petrol or a few rare isuzu diesels. These had isuzu diffs. Otherwise it came with a chevy v6 which also ran dana diffs so no good.
Body panels and chassis parts look for the same year Amigo. Most Amigos had the chevy drivetrain but the chassis and body is the same
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby SamMu93 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:07 am

Most of your questions crack me up- you wont be worried about the gitterey speedo once you notice all the other Mu traits!
Most rev needles work intermittantly or not at all, speedo will be all over the show but you get use to it. Speedo runs off a cable screwed into the side of the gearbox. Rev guage is an electric signal.
Gear wise; 5th gear is designed for 90km/h according to the gear ratio printed on the sun visor of my Mu.
When you throw 33” tyres on your Mu the speedo will be inaccurate by a bit. Buy a gps speedo if it bothers you - $100 NZD or less.

On a private road, a VERY long road, Ive had my Mu up to 160km/h - it didnt run out of power but it was redline 5th gear.

You can set this up to be good and squishy offroad and handle like a boat onroad or rock solid onroad and shit offroad. Somewhere inbetween will result in a pretty average all round Mu.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 93 Isuzu Mu 2.8 TD
Rodeo 3" dump pipe off turbo
2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed
Rear: 2" lifted leaf springs
Front: Wound torsion bars, dropped front diff, flipped ball joints, cut upper bump stop

Postby geeves » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:58 am

Sam your Mu needs tuning. Same engine in my old Bighorn saw 160kph on the Tawa motorway. Not recommended though. At that speed it was using both lanes.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby SamMu93 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:54 pm

Alan, its an old Mu thats doing what offroad Mu’s do. Lots of Mu’s have speedo issues. Not sire about bighorns so I wont comment on something Ive never owned.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 93 Isuzu Mu 2.8 TD
Rodeo 3" dump pipe off turbo
2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed
Rear: 2" lifted leaf springs
Front: Wound torsion bars, dropped front diff, flipped ball joints, cut upper bump stop

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion