• Advertisement

Max advance travel on injector pump reached, what now?

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Max advance travel on injector pump reached, what now?

Postby kirk332 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:28 pm

Hi there,
New to the forum, new to diesels and diving in head first. Many questions!

I have a 1996 Jackaroo 4JG2 with turbo and inter cooler, does that make it a 4JG2-TC?

I have had problems with starting. Cranks for a while before firing then blows a heap of white smoke and idles roughly. Has a flat spot at around 3700rpm and runs out of pull.

All glow plugs test good.
Turbo is producing 12.5psi but I need to verify my gauge as it is an old one.

I have removed the injectors, dissembled, cleaned and in the process of reassembling. A bit of erosion on the body of the Jet but not too bad to cause issues I’m hoping. I’ll get them pressure and leak tested before installing.

How do you remove the washer in the head, seams to be a step washer pressed into the head? Also it doesn’t quite look like the new replacement washers I have which is just a flat copper washer. What am I missing?

I believe that injection timing is meant to be 0.019” (0.5mm) at TDC #1. Mine was set at 0.004”. Does that mean the timing has been retarded?
Anyways I adjusted the timing to 0.018” and I have reached the limit of travel for the pump….! Does this mean my pump is buggered, or is my timing belt in need of replacement, or am I doing something completely wrong? (Highly possible)!
I have removed and blanked the CSD so that it is out of the equation.

Any help appreciated.
kirk332
Isuzu Baby

City: Little Mountain
Vehicle: 8/1996 Holden Jackaroo UBS69 4JG2-T

Re: Max advance travel on injector pump reached, what now?

Postby Fr8liner » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:29 pm

what is csd?
Fr8liner
Isuzu Baby

City: Paeroa
Vehicle: 1997 bighorn plaisir

Postby geeves » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:51 am

Cold start device. It only works at very low temperatures. Essentially its a flap that restricts the exhaust when the engine is very cold so heat stays in the engine. It stops working once the coolant reaches about 5C
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby turnturn » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:09 pm

Geeves, I think that he means the wax type cold start device (or similar) that alters the Injection Pump timing under certain conditions. From memory some of the instructions for timing belt replacement mention removing or disabling this device when re-timing the Injector pump.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion