• Advertisement

Trouble with Automatic

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Trouble with Automatic

Postby Rusty92MU » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:14 pm

hello everyone im currently trying to work out what wrong with my auto..ok i use to own a 99 rodeo with the 2.8 manual now that doing 110kph use to sit on 3150 rpm now my 92 mu 2.8 auto sits on 3200rpm at 80kph its like it wont change into another gear for some reason?? im not sure if the auto box has a vacume line iv not hooked up... or maybe something electrical.. i have recently dropped my new 2nd hand 2.8 engine in and that why im thinking something i havent connected somthing, now it does rev lots going up hill and its quite sluggish aswell compared to my rodeo i use to own. Am i expecting to much from it or is there something not right?? oh and i did have overdrive on so its not cause i didnt have the button in lol
Rusty92MU
Isuzu Baby

City: Albany
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu MU

Re: Trouble with Automatic

Postby geeves » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:26 pm

sounds like its not going into 4th or the lock up converter isnt engageing. Was this auto in the car when you got it and did the engine come out of an auto?
My money is on a temp sender or similar as the computer for the auto takes throttle and temp info from the engine. There should be a sensor on the back of the fuel pump and an extra sensor in the thermostat housing.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby bonkers » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:36 pm

Hey there, Geeves is on the right track. another one to check is the TPS sensor check the post "Auto kicks down way too soon" for more info.. Also be a good idea to install a transmission cooler. i to have an auto and have had it overheat several times when towing.
Yeah tar thanks that'll be great..!
bonkers
Isuzu Junior

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 1992 ISUZU MU 2.8L TURBO DIESEL

Postby Rusty92MU » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:13 pm

Thanks geeves ill get my mechanical mate to check all that out also im not to sure on wether the motor was out of an auto or manual
Rusty92MU
Isuzu Baby

Postby Rusty92MU » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:16 pm

bonkers wrote:Hey there, Geeves is on the right track. another one to check is the TPS sensor check the post "Auto kicks down way too soon" for more info.. Also be a good idea to install a transmission cooler. i to have an auto and have had it overheat several times when towing.

yea i had a read of that thread was very interesting i have a few things im going to check out and iv all ready installed a transcooler because my radiator is nearly stuffed i need to save for a new one... i really want to just convert my mu to manual be so much easier :roll:
Rusty92MU
Isuzu Baby

Postby bonkers » Sat May 01, 2010 1:36 am

I agree a manual is better but manuals still have problems with clutchs, synchros gears etc....and is a costly conversion..
bonkers
Isuzu Junior

Postby Rusty92MU » Sat May 01, 2010 2:41 pm

bonkers wrote:I agree a manual is better but manuals still have problems with clutchs, synchros gears etc....and is a costly conversion..

yea it is costly i just got a quote for a whole conversion kit for 1600 and im thinking of taking it but i want to sell my auto first but im guessing it will be hard seeming as no one wants an auto.....
Rusty92MU
Isuzu Baby

Postby bonkers » Sat May 01, 2010 7:03 pm

hehe very true.....i would take it if you lived down this way...but no will will pay much for them...$1600 is actually pretty good but im assuming that is old clutch and fly wheel..??
bonkers
Isuzu Junior

Postby Rusty92MU » Mon May 03, 2010 5:44 pm

ok im getting somewere with this problem i think.... iv just unscrewed the sensor out of the thermastat housing and replaced it with the one out of the original motor and took it for i drive and it changed in to overdrive it was wonderful but after a while it stoped changing to overdrive and since this morning after i changed the sensor its only changed up twice..... perhaps my other sensor is crook to?? iv ordered two replacment sensors to replce the two in the thermostat to see if that what it is i also checked fluid level its ok im using the right auto oil i hope. Its what the guy at the mechanics told me to use and he checked it in his book... any more ideas incase its not sensors??
Rusty92MU
Isuzu Baby

Postby timster » Wed May 05, 2010 8:07 pm

My 3.1 Mu had these spells where it wouldn't swap gears to go above 80km.
When it happened, I accidently turned the fan blower off, and it started swapping the gears.
Everytime time it happened I just turned the fan blower off.
timster
Isuzu Baby

City: Queensland
Vehicle: Isuzu MU

Postby bonkers » Wed May 05, 2010 11:06 pm

fan blower....??? as in the heater fan??? the auto fluid should be dexron 3.
bonkers
Isuzu Junior

Postby bonkers » Thu May 13, 2010 6:58 pm

does anyone know the parts numbers for the transmission filters or service kit..ill need to get some numbers off my box.
bonkers
Isuzu Junior

Postby Rusty92MU » Sun May 30, 2010 7:58 pm

problem solved: changed sensors over from old thermostat, rotated TPS sensor, changed oil and away she goes:D
Rusty92MU
Isuzu Baby

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion