• Advertisement

Differential selector jumps out when driving in 4WD

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Differential selector jumps out when driving in 4WD

Postby fitzpatrick13 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Please help me, I only bought this car yesterday and I thought it was a good buy but I have tried to drive it in 4WD in the high gear ratio but it drives for a few hundred metres and then jumps out of gear and makes a terrible noise. the previous owner said that this type of car should not be driven in 4WD around normal roads. I dnt think that he ever used the 4WD option as he wasnt sure how to put it into 4WD and didnt know why there were high and low difff settings. Has anybody else had this problem and if so how was it sorted?
fitzpatrick13
Isuzu Baby

City: auckland
Vehicle: Isuzu wizard

Re: Differential selector jumps out when driving in 4WD

Postby Blondini » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:34 pm

Welcome to the forum
You have a 4WD not a All wheel drive. 4WD should only be used for off road only.
I hope you hav'nt blown the transfer box.
Blondini
Isuzu Senior

City: Papamoa Tauranga
Vehicle: 93 ISUZU BIGHORN 3.1 TDI 5 DOOR
POD FILTER, 2 1/2" EXHAUST AND FREE FLOW MUFFLER
HOME MADE 3" SNORKEL AND HANKOOK RT03 265/75/16 (32") MUD TYRES.

Postby geeves » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:58 pm

You need to try it on a gravel road or soft surface. He is right that you shouldnt drive on hard surfaces in 4wd but jumping out of 4wd isnt a normal result. The normal result is bind up which will cause bad steering and unusual wear. It can do internal damage unfortunately and I suspect he might of been told the story he told you after it started jumping out. Not the answer you want sorry.
It is possible to drive on a hard surface in 4wd in a straight line but everything has to be just right. Even a 1mm difference in tyre wear will prevent this. Once you turn a corner the front wheels go further that the backs and as the transfer case is a solid front/back lock the transmission binds up.
Ive seen a mazda that completely destroyed a gearbox but the isuzu is quite a bit stronger. Normaly you just get scuffing tyres
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Captcol » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:10 pm

Yup had the scuffing tyres when my hubs wouldn't release (auto hubs, will replace with manual when I can afford some and find some)
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby fitzpatrick13 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Thank you for your replies this is very useful information as I have not owned a 4wd before.
We will take it for a drive on the beach or a gravel road to test it out. Hopefuly all will be ok. If by chance there is internal damage any idea on the price we could expect to pay to get this repaired thanks
fitzpatrick13
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:39 pm

If things are broken in the transfer case its not cheap. Is it auto or manual? Might need to get a second hand transfer case from a wreckers and have it fitted.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby fitzpatrick13 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:12 pm

It is an auto, it works fine in 2wd but only has problem when in 4wd on tarmac. Hope it is ok in the snow!!
fitzpatrick13
Isuzu Baby

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion