• Advertisement

WOF

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

WOF

Postby slightlydodgy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:43 pm

Got a surprise the other day when I went for my Wof. Local garage was pretty busy but I had to go to New Plymouth (40 minutes away) so thought I would just go to the testing station. Had been doing work on the farm so I parked in the yard put my wet weather gear on and got under the ute with the washdown hose. Excesive you say - last warrant took 3 goes because it wasnt clean enough (another testing station) got the underside clean enough to see the stone chips in the underbody paint. Would you believe I got asked to steamclean the bottom of the truck. Needless to say the inspector got a 2 word reply - I think that you can guess what they were. local garage said could have saved you a trip and even adjusted the brakes for nothing Does this just happen to me??????
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Re: WOF

Postby mulover » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:04 am

That sounds crazy!!, I'm guessing your talking about a VTNZ testing station?? I try to avoid those, Much better to go to your local garage, once they get to know you they will generally let you away with a bit.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby geeves » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm

I got told not to bring my wagon in again without a waterblast next time. He didnt send me away but after mumbling for 20 minutes about having to scrape brake lines etc he gave me a list of things that amounted to 600 in parts. Always cleaned it since and always passed first time. This is just a local bp garage
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:24 pm

First one was vtnz second testing station was AA local garage says as long as I made an effort hes ok with it -mud and manure easier to get off than grease
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:25 pm

First one was vtnz second testing station was AA local garage says as long as I made an effort hes ok with it -mud and manure easier to get off than grease
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby mulover » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:00 am

I'd always go for a splash in a river a day or 2 before i take it in for a WOF, they do appreciate vechiles being clean.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby geeves » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:46 pm

Most waterblasters can fit a device called a chassis wash or similar that is simply a nosle turned at 90 degrees so you hold the wand flat and it sprays up. Does a good job but the arms ache by the time your finished as the pressure trys to twist the whole thing
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby eastcoaster91 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:58 am

so what is a WOF? sounds kinda like our state inspections in the states just more in depth
eastcoaster91
Isuzu Baby

City: Heathsvile VA
Vehicle: 90' 4wd Standard Cab Isuzu Pup,2.6l i4,5speed Manual,4wheel disk brakes,Manual Locking hubs

Postby BUSHPIG » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:38 am

warrent of fitness. just a check you have to do every 6months and you get a lill sticker for ya window. its just to say that your car/truck/motorbike is road worthy and not a piece of shit thats gonna fall apart when your driveing down the road.

oh and in the UK i think they have the same sting but its called a MOT or something
Last edited by BUSHPIG on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
BUSHPIG
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1988 GQ Safari
TD42 Turbo Running 17psi
Custom BRD Top Mount Intercooler
Custom BRD 3" Exhaust
Factory GU Turbo Airbox
Safari Snorkle
2000 Gu Td42-T Injector Pump
Turbo Injectors
Pto Winch
Custom BRD On-Board Air Bracket With Modified Second A/c Pump
Custom Front Bar Work
Ally Roof Cage
2 1/2" Suspension Lift
Front LSD
Rear LSD
33x12.5xr15 Maxxis Tyres
Diff And Gearbox Breathers
Am Cb
Uhf Cb
GPS Tracker.

Planed Mods::
Exo Cage
Rear Barwork
Rear 14,000lb Winch

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:27 am

Almost true. The wof only says it was ok at the time of inspection so if it falls apart on the way home its still your problem
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby holden » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:13 pm

Just took my MU for a WOF with a sh!t load of mud under it. You could just see the sump. He told me he could only inspect what he could see witch wasnt much at all.
holden
Isuzu Junior

City: Whangarei
Vehicle: 91 Isuzu MU 2.8T D (4JB1T)

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:47 am

If he cant inspect something that has to be inspected he should send it away. You shouldnt be too mean on these guys They make no money from a wof inspection itself. They make money on the jobs they get from failed inspections but we do our own work.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion