• Advertisement

something went "ping"

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

something went "ping"

Postby amayesing » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:51 am

Hi folks, my 92 3.1 intercooled has done 50,000km since engine rebuild has been running great. a fews weeks ago while cruising down m'way at 100kph there was a noise like a fan belt breaking. I pulled up and had a look under bonnet - no probs, all looks ok, no heat, water, smoke and all belts ok. All dash lights ok and oil pressure good so limped to work with engine making louder than usual noise. Later I had a good look and could not find any problems with oil/water etc so drove it to diesel mechanics who claimed there was no oil in motor so put some in and test drove and couldnt find any problems. It was still not running well (sluggish) and noisy. I took it to a mechanic friend who took tappet cover off and apart from a couple of tappets out of spec could not find any probs with valves or springs etc. Im not sure what to do now, I dont want to throw huge money at the old girl but would like to either fix her or sell her to a good home as all other bits are in good order. Would appreciate any ideas on any checks I could do to troubleshoot this. Cheers
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

City: auckland
Vehicle: 92 bighorn 3.1 intercooled auto (unfortunately)

Re: something went "ping"

Postby geeves » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:57 pm

Im guessing turbo but we need more info
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby amayesing » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:28 am

Dunno if i'm going crazy but today I used the old girl to tow a meter of sand up a steep hill which went ok, then on the way home all of a sudden the clatter stopped and it started running ok. I havnt had a chance to get her out on the open road yet so cant really judge the performance. Now i'm even more perplexed.
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:20 pm

on the front of the engine at the bottom there is a pulley with a large bolt. make sure this bolt is tight. If its not it may need more than just tightening.
Do you have a standard air cleaner. A lot of people run aftermarket foam and cotton cleanable filters. The cheap versions have a metal cap that I have heard can come off. One in particular on a Nissan Patrol in a winch comp came off and was sucked up the intake until it hit the turbo. The bang followed by total silence had everyone believing the engine had exploded but apart from the sudden stop no damage done
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby amayesing » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:19 am

I started out on a long trip yesterday and was just comparing the performance up hill when kapooey -nothing -broken timing belt most likely. I hadn't had time to read your post before now. Would the pulley being loose cause this? The only stroke of luck was I was close to a mates house and was able to coast into his driveway - only just, his neighbour towed me out of the way and now the brute is a garden ornament sitting in front of his flash designer house. I cant decide whether to have her towed home and have a potter myself or take her to a mechanic. Someone had suggested that the earlier problem was the timing belt missing a notch -but how the hell could it get back in tune?
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:08 pm

Fitting the timing belt is easy. Chances are you will also have to replace all the push rods and check for bent valves. Otherwise the odds are its ok but no promises on this one. Loose pulley could do it as could a bad idler or just an old belt or one contaminated with diesel or oil. On the 3 pulleys there is a bolt hole that aligns with a threaded hole in the block. These lock the pulleys in the right place. Let me know if you want an engine manual
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby amayesing » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks -will keep you posted -had the old bag towed home today, a mechanic friend cant believe a belt 50k old would break, so it will be interesting to get in there and have a look.
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

Postby amayesing » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:59 am

I - less lots of skin and blood- have managed to get part of the timing belt cover off and the belt is floppy - cant see yet if it has broken. I thought i read somewhere that removal of the crank pulley is unnecessary - I cant see how the cover can come off without. Maybe I need some good advice and yes please to the offer of a manual.
cheers
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:49 am

there are 4x 12mm bolts in the crank pulley, dont undo the big one, they are tight to get off dont hit it with a hammer it will break it
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby amayesing » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:32 pm

Thanks -did manage to coax the pulley off -just a few taps and lots of swearing as advised from earlier posts. The belt is shredded -looks like something has gouged the outer surface on the inside edge - not sure yet -the new water pump i had fitted about 20k km ago is very close or maybe tensioners were not set up properly when belt fitted -still peering into the gloom. I want to remove the radiator -any advice for disconnecting the auto trans cooling lines at the bottom of radiator?
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:51 am

just undo hoses on radiator and jam bolts in the ends of the hoses to stop the oil coming out of the auto
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby amayesing » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:24 pm

Removing the radiator gave me more room to skin my knuckles but bugger the air con - still no front on access! Have removed all the bits of chewed up belt, there is a groove about 5mmwide and 3 deep gouged out of the inner edge. I suspect bits of this chewed up belt jammed somewhere and caused the belt to break -seems to be where it was joined during manufacture. The boomerang shaped plate that should be below the fuel pump pulley is missing -dont know if that would cause a problem. Took off the tappet cover and found 2 broken rockers -given up for the day its all too depressing. I should have listened to the person who suggested timing belt when the noise first started, could have saved a few problems, and a few dollars.
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

Postby amayesing » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:27 pm

By the way -thanks for all the tips folks, nice to know there are other people out there that dont just smirk and giggle when you say your bighorn is broken.
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:50 pm

at least it broke the rockers just buy second hand rockers and push rods for the ones that are broken and bent, fit a new belt and pulleys as needed it will be fine, least you can fix it without much cost
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby amayesing » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:16 pm

If any body out there has a couple of spare rockers I could buy please? Thanks to Alans manual I realise the tensioning lever is the boomerang shape that is missing -hmmm did the guy who did my engine just take it off after or did he not use it. This event sure could be explained by a loose belt.
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:38 am

i may have some 2.8 rockers and pushrods somewhere, if the little tensioner arm is missing he may have removed it, its hard to get the belt tight enough without it though
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby amayesing » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:30 am

I have purchased belt, tensioner and idler and 2 rockers from ruskies - no branding, hope its not junk. They seem to think i dont need the tensioner lever to set belt up. I would prefer to use one if anybody can lend me one for a few days that would be appreciated.
cheers
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

Postby amayesing » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:47 pm

Well I have finally got her all together - cant get it to turn over -any ideas why? - have turned it by hand -does feel tight I just figured it was due to the compression.
amayesing
Isuzu Baby

Postby muzila » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:18 pm

Too heavy for you to roll??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry. Could be any number of things. Got any spare parts or bolts left over that you shouldn't have??

You might have done more damage than you think. I hope not though.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby geeves » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:35 pm

How tight is tight? I can turn my motor over with a standard ratchet on a suitable socket but its hard to do and work up a sweat setting the tappets. (I always do exhaust one against exhaust 4 then inlet one against 4 etc so turn the motor over many more times than the book method)
By wont turn over Do you mean the starter engages but stalls or doesnt even engage?
Could be flat battery or wire off Otherwise its something mechanical. Could be timing one tooth out on the belt
You could try removing the rocker arm and tring to turn over. That would eliminate and valves hitting pistons
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Next

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion