• Advertisement

1992 mu auto hubs ????

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

1992 mu auto hubs ????

Postby scooter » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:53 pm

hey people !! new to forums.... i have heaps of questions but i will start with i have a 1992 mu with auto locking hubs is there any thing i can replace them with or is a front end conversion in order and if what should i replace it with she is a project being rebuilt from the ground up i had striped her but came to a very big stop at the auto hubs my head hurts i wouldnt like to trust them in the bush the hubs not my head lol...she is getting a 3.8 v6 for a new heart i have be told the diffs should take it but im open for apinions i feel like im treading following an old path with the mu but its perfect for what i want albe it with more neddies hope you can help
scooter
Isuzu Baby

City: melbourne
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu 4x4 mu

Re: 1992 mu auto hubs ????

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Try the wrecker or the auction web sites (dunno what you aussies have equivilant to our teademe) I got lucky and got a set for $50 and took about 10mins each to change. My ute came with autos and I couldnt stand them
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Look for a 89 or later Jackeroo or Rodeo or Trooper with manual hubs. Get the whole assembly. They will fit. The factory ones are Asin which are the best you can get.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby scooter » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:20 pm

thanks geeves an dodgy i was getting a bit nervy about it hey geeves the whole assm. does that include the shaft ??
scooter
Isuzu Baby

Postby walruz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:21 pm

AVM are a respectable manual hub, bolt on bolt off, 10 min job, easy as.

Cheers
walruz
Isuzu Junior

City: Sunshine Coast
Vehicle: 1996 Bighorn 4JG2 Auto.

Postby scooter » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:43 pm

thanks guys now to find some one that deals with hubs
scooter
Isuzu Baby

Postby scooter » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:04 pm

is there any special tool to pull apart auto hubs or to put them back as its my first time with auto hubs its a mission i know but i would like to be able to get myself out of the s...t if i had to
scooter
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:10 am

Apart from a pair of circlip piers there is nothing special. A search on google for Asin Auto hubs should get a detailed instruction if you need it. If you do buy the manual hubs second hand its good to take them off yourself That way you get to see how they fit. You need the outer part (8 8mm bolts) then the circlip and shims (this circlip is a different size to the one in the auto hub) then the outer body (8 hex keys )are very tight)) gaskets can be replaced but most people use a good non hardening sealant ie rtv
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby scooter » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:02 pm

thanks guys mission complete it was a peace of cake now for the next problem the lower wishbone rubbers whats the best way to get the buggers out on the old holdens they burnt them out but thats dodgy no offence dodgy lol but is there a tool i can buy to push out and push in some new ones.....oh yeah! whats a good after market torsion bar for the old girl because it looks like ones been tampered with by a big rock
scooter
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:15 pm

The rubbers come out and go in with a hydrolic press. Best trick would be to take the bare arms and new bushes to your local mechanic
Just about all the after market torsion bars are a little on the stiff side unless you have extra weight up front ie winch bull bar etc. The alternatives though are either hope someone local offers you some or import second hand from NZ which will cost more than new EFS or Iron man ones
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby scooter » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:14 pm

thanks geeves the torsion bars have been organised and the uppers are at the mech.. as i speak but the lower ones have the hangers on the rails lol it would be hard to fit it under a press so i think i will have to make a minni press out of a puller i have to press them out what a shit of an idea putting them on there an old bush mech. told me to put the new ones in the fridge so they dont fold up as you push them in o well we shall have ago
scooter
Isuzu Baby

Postby slightlydodgy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:26 pm

scooter wrote:but thats dodgy no offence dodgy

No offence taken (not even the gate :lol: ) Im called slightlydodgy for a reason
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:38 pm

With the bushes get rubber if you can. If you can only get poly bushes they will last ok but the squeaking will drive you mad
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby nig99 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:43 pm

scooter wrote:thanks geeves the torsion bars have been organised and the uppers are at the mech.. as i speak but the lower ones have the hangers on the rails lol it would be hard to fit it under a press so i think i will have to make a minni press out of a puller i have to press them out what a shit of an idea putting them on there an old bush mech. told me to put the new ones in the fridge so they dont fold up as you push them in o well we shall have ago

With my 94 Rodeo, I made up a tool to attempt to pull the old bushes out of mine modelled on the ones in the workshp manual - and they were an absolute failure. The ourside case of the bush had bonded itself very nicely into the chassis :( - all that happened is things bent and threads stripped.

So I used a drill to ream all the rubber out, and then threaded a hack-saw blade inside and cut through the outer case of the bush as far as I dare. From there it was a case of using a hammer and a large striker-screwdriver to mash & pry the outside caseing away. Took about an hour per bush :( . An all round bugger of a job. At least freezeing and geasing up the new ones resulted in them going in easy :)
nig99
Isuzu Baby

City: Shannons Flat, NSW
Vehicle: 2009 D-Max dual cab diesel tray-back

Postby scooter » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:54 am

yep yep copy that i made one last night after i bent and bukled my puller poor thing aint well now but the beast i made should stand the pressure but i think i will drill around it like you did.. bastards couldnt have made it to come off the rails o no .... but im still having fun with it the whole project is coming along very nice still you guys have helped me out soooooo much if we ever catch up on the dirt i owe you a couple thanks again guys
scooter
Isuzu Baby

Postby slightlydodgy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:50 pm

I had to do a couple of these on our farm quad and they were really stuck. I certainly wouldnt recomend my solution on a road vehicle I used a grinder with a thin cutting wheel and cut through the tubing on the arm pryed it apart slightly and removed the bush, put the new one in and welded the tube back up being careful not to let the new bush catch fire. When the weld cooled it was tighter than the original - see slightlydodgy
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby scooter » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:41 pm

lol not up to that stage mmm yet...the press i made worked good but the outer shell is still ther but at least i can knock them out now for the next mission how the hell does the uni.shafts come out of the diff and how do you get the rubber boots on the shaft i would like to put new ones on some good ones or do they come on the shafts and thats it i have to put new mouting rubbers on the front diff so wile im at it i was going to replace the boots i have only worked on f100 an stuff like that oooh! and i have no manual for the old girl not that theres going to be much left of her when shes finnished lol
scooter
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Uni Shafts? Do you mean front axles.half shafts?
The cheats way to do these is to remove cap on free wheel remove circlip. Undo top ball joint (if you have a ball joint flip you dont need to crack the taper) Release the tie rod end and swing the hub assembly down on the bottom ball joint. Push the half shaft into the housing on the diff as far as you can and it should come free from the hub. Now remove the boot bands then pull open the inner boot reach inside with a finger and find the end of the spring clip in there pull it out with your greasy finger then pull the half shaft out of the housing. Then remove the circlip from the inner end of the shaft and remove the ball assembly (balls might fall out) You can then slide the boots off and assembly is the opposite. Takes about 2.5 hours the first time but can be done in 15 minutes.
The supper cheats way is to use Mechateck boots. Remove hub as above and boot bands Cut the lod boots off and useing the special tool that comes with these boots stretch them over the half shaft assembly Assemble as req. A lot of people swear by these boots but my experiance wasnt that good. They are thinner and more flexible so should last longer but I put a tree branch through the side of mine.
The correct way includes instructions like lowering the front diff on a jack. Noone does it that way.
do replace both boots for obvious reasons
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mulover » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:51 pm

I wouldn't recommend those Mechateck ones, as geeves said, they can't handle anything sharp like the normal boots can. I think the extra effort of removing the half shafts is worth it.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby slightlydodgy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:37 pm

A pair of nitrile gloves is a worthwile investment (about 20c) here - you can just peel the grease off when youre finished Ive done a few this way as quad bikes are a similar set up and Im always shredding boots
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Next

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion