• Advertisement

mu motor conversion

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

mu motor conversion

Postby scooter » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:03 pm

options........im doing a motor conversion on my mu its being replaced by a vx 3.8 induction v6 what would be the best way to go with the gear box and transfer case i have the old box out of the mu but it seems hard to find info on any conversion kits to match is there a better way to go like a hilux box or somthing similar any ideas guys would be most helpful
scooter
Isuzu Baby

City: melbourne
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu 4x4 mu

Re: mu motor conversion

Postby geeves » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:37 pm

I believe that the cranks are different on the auto and manual comadoor engines. Its best to use the gearbox that came with the engine and adapt a hilux transfer case to the rear of this. Also if this is the ecotech engine its realy good if you have the whole car as the computer talks to the original key as a anti theft device. It can be got round but its a major hassel
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby scooter » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:41 pm

hey ! geeves.. got the crank covered yellow terra has a fly wheel conversion 1300 bucks but it comes with the pressure and slip plate that was close....i have the german 5 speed ger tag or somthing.... soooo does marks conversions have a kit for the hilux transfer case and how good is the hilux t/c will it stand up to the 3.8 as i will be wacking on the induction system after she gets certifide an regoed so if you could point me in the right direction with the t/c that would be kooool i figure if i throw enough money at it lol it will happen im not that worried about it as the conversion joints going to do the engineering but i would like to know the best way to go as i dont wont to be ripped off
scooter
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:55 pm

Im only going on others conversions. Cant answer what marks adapters can do.
Hilux tranfer case has seen fully worked v8s in other conversions with no drama so it is up to the task. The outputs are in virtually the same place as on the isuzu box and the driveshafts on the hilux and isuzu use the same u joints
Talk to the certifier the whole way through the process.It will make life much easier.They hate having a fire breathing monster turn up in the driveway asking for a cert unexpectedly. They much rather see all the steps in the process.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Isuzumu1 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:06 pm

The one I saw done was in Rockhampton Qld about 5 years ago, but it was from the 2.6 petrol version.
Sorry I cannot help any further, but it has been done.
Cheers Anne
Isuzumu1
Isuzu Junior

City: Nanango
Vehicle: Isuzu MU Wizard

Postby scooter » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:06 am

thanks geeves it sounds the go and yeah! they would hate this little beast just rocking up lol but yeah! they are doing all the enginneering on the ol girl .. they are doing it for 5 grand with ticket
scooter
Isuzu Baby

Postby slightlydodgy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:25 pm

Heard about another way today. some guys wanted to put a rover v8 into a hilux with a molded bell housing -the same as a zu. As the box had to come out any way some one suggested cutting the bell of the box and milling out the back of the rover housing similar to what people do at the transfer case end . one of them can weld ali although with a bit of thought they could have made a bolt on set up up so suddenley a mission became very easy He said that it was an experiment that went very right with the plus being no wiring probs or changing mounts etc
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:21 pm

You have to get the alignment perfect or bad things happen. A friend bought a FJ40 with the mandatory 350 fitted but it was done this way. (incomplete project) That thing ate a brand new centerforce clutch in under 100km. Careful measurements afterwards showed it to be less than 1mm off centre
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion