• Advertisement

Buy Mu, what to look for?

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Buy Mu, what to look for?

Postby rcolijn » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi guys,

What a great forum, looks like everybody is really helpfull, read lots of good stuff!!!!

Ok, so I have decided I really like the Mu, so checking out some sites and cars. What should I look for when I check them out?

I'd like:
1) Turbo Diesel
2) Preferably Manual
3) Used for a lot of road driving, but also hardcore 4WD with the mates

- is there a great difference between the 2.8 and 3.1?
- Have they both got all the good stuff (looking at LSD, not the drug that is)
- Which ones can you take the roof of, the look really great.

Any ideas and suggestion appreciated, and may score a beer if your arround Goulburn / Yass / Canberra!

Thanks again, Ronald
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

City: Perth
Vehicle: Awesome Isuzu Mu, 2.8 TD, Adjustable shocks, AT Tyres, no backseat, 2.5" exhaust. Heavy Duty battery, custom snorkel, custom roofrack, custom centre console, custom rear door kitchen, carpet with extra underlay, Clarion sounds system, K&N airfilter, D694 tyres, bucket seats, extra lights in rear cabine, custom tow bar bracket, Nudge bar, 3 spotties, rear camping light, Second battery setup, rest is **still* standard :)

Re: Buy Mu, what to look for?

Postby wbski007 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:21 am

missymu has a nice one for sale,94 MU 3.1 manual, in the for sale section, I'll take a Millerlite, cheers, Wayne
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby Demonic » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:00 am

I think the 2.8 is the better of the 2, but everyone has there own preference. One thing to check is the steering box - looking for freeplay and leaks. Dont know how mechanicly minded you are but there a fairly simple vehicle to work on.

Not all have LSD, apparently its stamped on the diff housing if it does have one.

The Mus are great, ive had mine 11months and love it to bits, but i do find it got more guts off road then on road.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby rcolijn » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:42 am

Thanks fellas, I think I'll give him a call and ask about it, looks like a nice truck indeed.

Besides the freeplay in the steering box, anything else to check?

I know people sometimes flog the guts out of older 4wd's so just wondering what would go if they do, and how I'd find that out during sale?

Thanks for your help guys!

Next club meeting or so a Miller comin up!
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

Vehicle: Awesome Isuzu Mu, 2.8 TD, Adjustable shocks, AT Tyres, no backseat, 2.5" exhaust. Heavy Duty battery, custom snorkel, custom roofrack, custom centre console, custom rear door kitchen, carpet with extra underlay, Clarion sounds system, K&N airfilter, D694 tyres, bucket seats, extra lights in rear cabine, custom tow bar bracket, Nudge bar, 3 spotties, rear camping light, Second battery setup, rest is **still* standard :)

Postby dasnoboarder » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:53 am

A MU with factory LSD should have the G80 code stamped on firewall plate.

If not, you can jack car up so rear wheels are off the ground, spin one wheel, if the other turns the same way it's LSD, if it goes the other way it's open.

I got my LSD from a wrecker and just swapped them over. LSD from 3.1's fit into the 2.8 housing.

Good to check handbrake operation as the Isuzu system is known to be crap. Also that none of the brake calipers are seized on.

If you can, check the body mounts behind driver & passenger seats from the interior, if anything gets into them, it can't get out, and rusts away.

Andy.
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Postby Fly3r » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:04 am

rcolijn wrote:Hi guys,

What a great forum, looks like everybody is really helpfull, read lots of good stuff!!!!

Ok, so I have decided I really like the Mu, so checking out some sites and cars. What should I look for when I check them out?

I'd like:
1) Turbo Diesel
2) Preferably Manual
3) Used for a lot of road driving, but also hardcore 4WD with the mates

- is there a great difference between the 2.8 and 3.1?
- Have they both got all the good stuff (looking at LSD, not the drug that is)
- Which ones can you take the roof of, the look really great.

Any ideas and suggestion appreciated, and may score a beer if your arround Goulburn / Yass / Canberra!

Thanks again, Ronald

HI and Welcome,

majority of the MU in AUS are Turbo Diesel,
The difference btw the 2.8 and 3.1 isn't too much, I "tested the acceleration" between mine and Muvits (2.8 auto) and mine was infront... :D the 3.1 is out of a Jackaroo, and the 2.8 is out of a rodeo
with a few mods you can get them going nice on the road and off, have a look through the modified section and you'll see what people are upto...

As far as inspecting them, I can't really think of anything special to look out for that is not mentioned, just the standard test, eg rust on the bottom of the doors where the joins are, andin the sunroof if its got one.
I think you'll be hard pressed to find a MU with a removable hard top in Aus, (I've never seen one) but with enough money or an angle grinder you can get it done...

Missymu's Mu does look very nice, i'd be having a look at that if i was looking again
Three things a Co-pilot should say to a Captain:
1. Great landing
2. First round is on me
3. I'll take the ugly one.
Fly3r
Isuzu Junior

City: Sydney
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu 1994 3.1 T/D

Postby geeves » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:06 am

Best advice would be if you drive it and still like it to get a mechanical report from a reputable diesel mechanic. This might cost a hundred or so but should pick up the realy bad things. Only unusual things to watch out for are brakes,steering and check the level of oil in the transfer case.If its very overfull you have a big gearbox repair on the horizon. (its just a couple of dollar seal but everything comes apart to get at it)
Of the 2 motors the 3.1 will slug all day from any revs and on paper has more power but uses more fuel and can blow heads. the 2.8 likes to rev (by diesel standards) and is easier to get more power out of and amazingly economical. Neither motor tolerates bad maintenance so if there is evidence of neglect run away. If its been used off road expect a few unfixable rattles but nothing serious
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby rcolijn » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:03 pm

Awesome guys, thanks very much, I am going up to Richmond to have a look at Missymu's truck. If I like it I'll buy it probably, if he works on the price a bit (hint if he's reading this lol).

Apparently its got the LSD in it so thats good. I will check all points mentioned and want to make sure it is comfortably enough to do the distances. I commute 180k's a day so it better be comfy (or have really fluffy seats and a big sound system:))...

Further really looking forward to driving one, and maybe meet up with some of you on here, you sound like a nice bunch. Do you guys do any club meetings round ACT or Sydney?

Thanks again fella's!
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

Postby Demonic » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:45 am

rcolijn wrote:Awesome guys, thanks very much, I am going up to Richmond to have a look at Missymu's truck. If I like it I'll buy it probably, if he works on the price a bit (hint if he's reading this lol).

*cough* SHE *cough* :lol:
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Postby rcolijn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:48 pm

Hahaha, she, as in owner of the car, he, as in the guy I spoke to, probably hubby I presume.

But... so if he is a she which should be called a he, hey I aplogize, hihi
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

Postby Demonic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:55 am

:lol:
Cheers,
Andrew
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion