• Advertisement

New guy looking for advice and manual

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

New guy looking for advice and manual

Postby atlantis » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:04 am

Hi

My name is Martin and I'm new here. I'm from Switzerland and have a 1988 Trooper with the 2.6i gas engine (4ZE1). The car is the long version. I was able to buy it lately for little money and still have to inspect if thoroughly. If it turns out to be good enough the plan is to take it to West Africa early next year. Most people prefer LandCruisers, Land Rovers, Patrols or Puch Gs for this kind of travel but those cars go for more than we can afford or then are complete junk at the first glance. Lately saw a Patrol that had at least one hole in every single body panel and still went for far moreā€¦

First of all I'm looking for a workshop manual in pdf form. There are several to be found on this forum but I don't know exactly which version is closest to my vehicle as the manuals are labelled with model names that are unfamiliar to me. Who can tell?

Then I'm interested in what mods or upgrades you would recommend for this purpose.

One thing I'd want to add anyway are serious skid plates. I have not found them for sale anywhere for this model (i.e. Sheriff skid plates) and am therefore looking for detailed plans to make my own. I consider myself good enough a fabricator to make them but fiddling out the dimensions and mounting holes could be a seriously tedious job, at least I imagine.

Any other ideas appreciated.

Regards
Martin
atlantis
I'm only here for the information

City: Buchs
Vehicle: 1988 Trooper 2.6 MPI (UBS17)

Re: New guy looking for advice and manual

Postby geeves » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:46 pm

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4123
Grab the kb and tfs ute manuals. I think the engine is in them but if not get back to me and I will add it to mediafire
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby atlantis » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:24 am

Well it seems that the isuzu_kb_tf140_wm.pdf manual does cover the 4ZE1 engine but not the MPI injection version. My Trooper will most likely be most similar to the TF but in that section this engine is not listed, only in the KB section when there was no ignition version yet.

The TFS manuals seem to neither cover this engine. So far I can't tell whether the TF manual will cover the rest of the car like brakes, electrical etc.

Maybe you can tell whether the MPI version was used at all in any of these pickup trucks. Trucks are not popular in Switzerland and if any were ever sold then only in very small numbers. But the 4x4 3 and 5 doors were a pretty common sight, however I think the petrol engines were not used with the carburetor any more after the 1988 model change and the MPI was the only choice then.

Regards
Martin
atlantis
I'm only here for the information

City: Buchs
Vehicle: 1988 Trooper 2.6 MPI (UBS17)

Postby geeves » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:55 pm

I thought I had something covering the efi but looking found it was the same kb manual you now have. This is interesting as an owners manual I have states that the 2.6 engine is always efi but the 2.3 carbereta but this manual quotes a 92 4ze1 engine for Germany and Switzerland as carburettored.
The only good news is that the rest of the engine is the same and efi never breaks
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion