• Advertisement

MU-X Australia

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

MU-X Australia

Postby maliyanjourney » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Test drove an MU-X LSM today (Australia). Did my research, compared to colorado and challenger. Comes up trumps in my books on many aspects - not the least of which is it's true 4x4 capacity, right down to small details like the clearance / approach - exit angles etc, through to the diamond tip injectors that basically never need replacing. Sold. Drove a treat, felt like a 'truck' (true 4x4 triton/hilux) on road and I'm fine with that, in fact i like it. off road, what little i could squeeze in on a test drive, very steep and wet muddy hill, did what i'd expect of any of the work fleet 4x4's we use in the moutains.

However i find little in the way of user reviews online. Some but limited. Lots of flashy ads, testing at the Thai isuzu 4x4 world track etc. Wondering what people are thinking of their new pride and joy's. Personally my only complaint is that the 'hard plastic' interior seemed a bit 'inferior'.. an old Mazda 121 interior has tougher /solid plastic. Only a minor point but valid i reckon. Any other issues creeping into the very very young market in peoples minds? Tales of epic amazing adventures conquered around oz etc!? Can;t really picture a better value for money vehicle at this stage of my driving career
maliyanjourney
I'm only here for the information

City: ACT
Vehicle: MU-X

Re: MU-X Australia

Postby geeves » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:57 pm

Comparing on paper the Colorado7 and MuX Essentially the same wagon except for engine.Both are 2.8 litre but he Mux gets the old 4jj1 engine which has about 10kw more than the VM unit the Colorado got. The Mu is also half a litre per 100km more economical as well. They are only selling the Colorado in NZ but if I was in the market I would be trying for the Mux in preference although both are good trucks.
4wd tv have been running a Colorado7 for the last few episodes
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:10 pm

I think I will stick with my old 94 MU less problems than these new computer run diesel engines and lot cheaper to keep running just my two bob worth.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby geeves » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:23 pm

Ive just deleted your original double post. Keeps things tidy
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby maliyanjourney » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks geeves. Still pretty keen to hear what users are reckoning. But that's great on the Colorado comparison. Cheers
maliyanjourney
I'm only here for the information

City: ACT
Vehicle: MU-X

Postby normn » Thu May 01, 2014 1:15 pm

For over a year I was looking to purchase a tug! (Toyota, Nissan etc. etc.)then I read about the new D-Max SUV, looked good on paper. I test drove one and was instantly convinced "this is the car for me", oh yes the missus loved the car as well.
So I purchased a MU-X LST from Gensismotors P/L in Ringwood Vic, fantastic car dealership, could not be more please with their help.
My old car was a 2008 Toyota Rav4 6 cyl SX which I sadly had to give up.
The MU-X is a dream to drive (only 500K on the clock). Steering is direct, the turning circle is very good for the size of the car. The consumption is about 8.5l/100KM which is very good for an engine that is not run in yet.
Seats are comfortable, interior is well laid out and everything is in handy reach. The center console unit will take some time to learn (display unit), it has more items than my iPad :).
The lighting is average to good (i would have expected QI globes for this price), although, I also would have expected that the lights would turn off when the ignition is switched off (even my Rav had this feature).
All in all this car is great and I urge people to have a test drive.

Cheers

Norm
normn
Isuzu Baby

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: Isuzu MU-X

Postby Ziggy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:34 pm

Yep. My shortlist was Pajero, Triton and the 'mucks' which I found better to drive. Comfortable, reasonably agile, quiet and smooth at speed. Chaff cutter at idle. The suspension's pretty ordinary: wallow on blacktop at low speeds at the same time as transmitting bumps to the cabin. Ie. soft springs and poor valving. A kit will be a high priority when my 'Outback Bronze' unit arrives in a couple of months.

I too am buying from Genesis and have found them very helpful; Frank made a great offer - to swap the 17" wheels of my LS-U for the 16s of an LS-M. This will provide a much better choice of tyres.

There are now more reviews on the web inc. one or two outside of the Thai launch.

Some other threads of interest: http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/mu/300 ... -info.html
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36140.0

I'm keen to get a detailed spec list. The kind you'd find in a workshop manual. Can anyone help?

Geeves, the Aussie MUX is 3 l and AFAIK the Colorado 7 has much more power but over a narrower band.

Cheers.
Ziggy
Isuzu Baby

City: Smellbourne
Vehicle: Forester 2.5 manual; soon to be MU-X LS-U

Postby geeves » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:34 pm

oops both are 3l Both are well regaurded engines but the 4jj1 in the mux is tried and true over a fairly long history in that form and an evolution of the indestructable 4jb1 that has been around forever.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Ziggy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:50 pm

Yep. As best I can gather the MUX engine has been tweaked with a split camshaft (dunno what that does) and stainless cam chain.

Cheers.
Ziggy
Isuzu Baby

City: Smellbourne
Vehicle: Forester 2.5 manual; soon to be MU-X LS-U

Postby normn » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:17 am

Our MU-X has done about 4500K 8.1 l/100k :mrgreen:
normn
Isuzu Baby

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: Isuzu MU-X