• Advertisement

My MU has finaly got some balls again

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

My MU has finaly got some balls again

Postby stardog » Fri May 30, 2014 2:19 pm

After I done a engine change at the beginning of the year from the 3.1 that was in the MU to a 2.8 rodeo engine I found the 2.8 gutless but after a lot of stuffing around it has finally got some get up and go at last.
It was close to getting this engine ripped out and a Holden V6 3.8 supercharged put in it but after doing the fuel filter playing with injector pump and turbo I am now happy with it again it don't have a 170 kw but the engine in it will do me for now took it up a big hill near me and just kept going in 3rd gear like my old 3.1 engine did.
I also was looking at a few fronteras as well with the 3.2 petrol engine but prefer a diesel engine there was a couple of wizards but all out of state I don't have time with work to go and check them out.
So I went on to the old Isuzu pro board site and trolled through the forums got a heap of knowledge off there now my mu has turned green and busted out of its shirt as well Happy days again.
Cheers Stardog
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Re: My MU has finaly got some balls again

Postby MrRevhead » Sat May 31, 2014 7:30 am

Show us ya balls!!

Well, ok a pic of ya MU then :P
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby MUVIT » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:09 am

good one steve.
MUVIT
Isuzu Guru

City: Darwin
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 96

Postby stardog » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:04 am

Thanks Ben I am now happy how the mu is running now. how did you go with the timing of the injector pump on the wizard and the seal leak.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby MUVIT » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:22 pm

got a far as putting a dial indicator into the back of the pump.
Looks like we mite be picking up a new MU/X next week.
If that happens i will have to make some tough choices, possibly leading to selling the MU.
MUVIT
Isuzu Guru

Postby stardog » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:28 am

I will see if this works from my computer using snap 7.It shows how to do pump timing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby MooMooMoo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:27 am

i like my 2.8 because it gets me close to 800kms per tank
MooMooMoo
Isuzu Senior

City: Sydney
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu 2.8td 1992

Postby MrRevhead » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:41 am

Just don't trust the fuel gauge or light!
My light comes on AFTER the engine stops....
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby MooMooMoo » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:46 pm

ive never seen the light come on... my gauge says its empty after about 200kms... I go by my odometer.
I fill up at 750km
MooMooMoo
Isuzu Senior

City: Sydney
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu 2.8td 1992

Postby MrRevhead » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:51 pm

Yeah that's what I do now after I saw the light come on once :oops:
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby geeves » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:41 pm

When I bought the bighorn the guage would go down to 3/4 then empty. I made a point of filling it at 500km Imagine my surpise to find the tank wasnt 50l but 83.New sender in the tank fixed that. I ignored the light once foe a week longer than I should of and it started idling rough cutting out on corners etc. Got 82l into the tank. That bighorn gets treated like dirt but wont let me down. 19 years and towed home twice. Once was a split heater hose which I had driven 20km after smelling steam the other was 40l of water in the fuel tank. Neither were major repairs. It saved the day last night after some fool left the back door of the wizard slightly open so the light had been on for 3 days. I have given the bighorn a treat in the form of a new winch.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:20 pm

I used to get 800 ks out of a tank with the 3.1 on long trips as well back to the original post this 2.8 pulls pretty good now I haven't put the camper trailer behind it yet but will be doing a trip soon to see how it goes then.
I hated this 2.8 at the start totally gutless but I am starting to come around to it now after a few tweaks and intercooled and a 3" exhaust system on it from the turbo back might even run nearly as good as my 3.1 with the rings stuffed and all the blow back it had but damn that engine was a good one until it blew the turbo and over heated when the thermo fans shite themselves but that's in the past now my MU lives again.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby stardog » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:31 pm

MUVIT wrote:got a far as putting a dial indicator into the back of the pump.
Looks like we mite be picking up a new MU/X next week.
If that happens i will have to make some tough choices, possibly leading to selling the MU.

Hope you get the wizard sorted out the new mu/x looks good and handles better than the colardo 7 but both are to technical for me to work on and out of my budget my MU might be 20 years old but can fix anything on it what they call old school bush mechanics and keeps going.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby MUVIT » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:48 pm

yeah ive pumped too much into the wizard to get rid of it i think.
With a young one on the way, i dont think it will be practical to keep the 2 seater MU.
The dream was to 1 day put a holden v8 in it.. But things change i guess.

The new MU / X, Pro & Cons
engine - timing chain not belt driven. Good mileage with the 5 speed Auto. 5 year warranty. A/C front & rear. Rear door more user friendly, no rear window chatter/squeeks.
Better brakes ie towing , women & asian drivers (in my case all 3 lol)

Cons
53k, but considering thats top of the range & base model toyota praddo's start at $61k.
Spare wheel location.
The only decent steel bull bar ive seen is on a dmax, MCC make em but havent realised em for the MU/X yet. ( single hoop falcon & rocker style) ARB & TJM bars look like they just modify the mounts for a prado/hilux bar so the sides dont meet the isuzu guard propperly call me picky but they retail for 2grand...
Fuel tank size under 70L, there is a place in brisbane that do a 135L replacement tank for the colorado 7 but havent fitted it to a MU/X yet (gota be the same chassis).

1 more thing that swung me towards the MU/X..
A mate from work rang to ask if i had a car trailer to tow his less then 2year old colorado dual cab ute to darwin. Cause his roadside assistance expired. Holden told him to bring it in or it may void warranty, its been sitting in work carpark for a week.
All because of engine check light on the dash.
Read somewhere the have a 2.8L italian fiat motor (same as jeep wrangler?)
& isuzu has a 3L proven jap dmax motor
both made in siam though haha
MUVIT
Isuzu Guru

Postby stardog » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:49 am

I found out the engine blocks for the 2.8 are made in Italy and assembled in the Thailand factory for Colorado.
You are like me pumped to much money in to the wizard to get rid of it im to frightened to take a count how much $$$$ I have spent on my MU since I have had it.
Ironman makes bullbars for dmax which bolt straight on to Isuzu mu-x I have read on internet.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby molus » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:33 am

Lucky you didn't put that 3.8 into it. Mine is lucky to do 550k from a tank. 80ltrs of 96 really hurts the pocket at $2- something a litre. Or maybe I have a problem with my right foot.
molus
Isuzu Baby

City: auckland
Vehicle: 93 Isuzu Mu 3.8ltr Holden v6.

Postby stardog » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:34 pm

That's what real put me off was fuel consumption but I would of put it on gas but the cost didn't justify doing it.
I will keep the 2.8 td in it now.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion