• Advertisement

Re-registering Bighorn

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Re-registering Bighorn

Postby Irmscher » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:25 pm

i have got a 1991 swb bighorn which rego has lapsed.
i am looking at getting it back on the road, called up ltnz and it will cost about $800 all up!
Is there a way to get it registered cheaper?
or i was thinking i could swap plates and vin number off non roadworthy bighorn.
does anyone have plates and vin they would be keen to sell?

Cheers ryan
Irmscher
Isuzu Baby

City: Palmerston North
Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn 1992

Re: Re-registering Bighorn

Postby geeves » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:37 pm

take plates and rear window which also has the vin etched into it. Then as long as noone looks at where the chassis number is stamped on the chassis you are away laughing as long as you never sell the vehicle or put it in for low vol cert after modding it. If you do there could be a short holiday at the rimituka motor in (a very secure holiday)
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:19 pm

re rego is easy if it is tidy and well worth the 800, swapping vin plates is a no no, mate did it had a major crash, police investigated and he went to jail, my ones have cost 1200
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:18 pm

Have a look what prices deregistered and cars with no reg past 1 year sell for. also see whos bidding. Very nice but not unusual cars are ending up at the wreckers for next to nothing. Just looked at http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... ermanent=0 as an example. Reg gone and minor thing needed for wof. Looks nice and would of been worth 3 to 4k fully legal but current bid 600, bidders are 2 wreckers and a farmer. It was 150 when I looked and I still walked away
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:27 pm

Remember most of all that this advise never came from clubisuzu or any member thereof and this post will self destruct in 7 days etc Dont try this at home or on a road near any other driver etc and if it fails no member of clubisuzu accepts any correspondence from lawers or prisoners. Use at your own risk
There is a way round the system but it only works when they dont notice whats happening so no promises. Put it on b exempt for a year. No wof or checks needed. Get it up to spec and put a wof on it anyway. Renew this at 6 months then again at the 12 months but dont let the reg or wof lapse at all. Then change the class back to normal at rereg time. 9 times out of 10 they see the last 3 wofs and dont look back any further.
Remember most of all that this advise never came from clubisuzu or any member thereof and this post will self destruct in 7 days etc Dont try this at home or on a road near any other driver etc and if it fails no member of clubisuzu accepts any correspondence from lawers or prisoners. Use at your own risk
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:32 am

once its deregd its off the vtnz system so you cant put the rego on hold, i have tried with a bighorn i brought that was meant to have rego on hold and was deregd, its still sitting in the paddock, only way is vtnz revin or if first regod in nz before 1990 you can sometimes just get a wof and it goes back into the system, know of a hilux that that happened to and worked
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby slightlydodgy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:51 am

Sorry geeves they closed that loophole a few years ago. I wanted to put a B rego on a deregoed landy to drive to the runoff about a k down the road and was going to have to revin it complete complete with a new warrant I sold the landy instead :D
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:45 pm

1 k down the road you shouyld just of taken the risk. Family freind had that Landy earlier. Used to comutte from Kaitangata to Hillend between his 2 farms. Landy had no brakes and 1 broken spring.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:18 pm

Was down a state highway past a place the cops used to park to catch speedsters
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby Irmscher » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:14 pm

thanks for advice guys, im not keen on taking it for a revin dont think it will pass and ill lose my $420.
rang up and tried to get it on b rego but no luck as it is dereg.
might try isuzurob advice and take it for a wof and see if it gets in the system that way haha, worth a shot i suppose.
if that doesnt work, i guess ill just sell the one i have and buy one with rego.
Irmscher
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Reality is an old car without rego is as good as parts unless its something special. Same with diesel cars with road mileage way behind. I was at Turners a while ago and they were talking to a seller of a nissan patrol that was 80000km behind. They told him they couldnt sell it untill road tax up to date at a cost then around 4k. Then they could of sold it for about 6k and it was worth lots more than 2k to a wrecker
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:43 pm

wof will only work if first rego in nz before 1990 i doubt it was i havnt seen one imported that quick into nz
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby Irmscher » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:13 pm

woops missed reading 'before 1990'. still might give it a go just in case.
80000km behind he did well driving that far with out RUC haha
anyone got an idea on how strict the re-vinning is, and what the process involves?
Irmscher
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:44 pm

best ask transport safety on that one. Normally they are only to happy to explain the process although that may not help in the long run
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion