• Advertisement

Wizard auto gearbox

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Wizard auto gearbox

Postby mudgrip4 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:29 am

Just a question on the wizard auto box - is this an isuzu design or is it a generic box adapted to the wizard/bighorn etc. If the latter, who made it? I seem to remember its a box used by a number of makes and has been adapted by isuzu for their use - a good sturdy auto gearbox by all accounts.
mudgrip4
Isuzu Junior

City: christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 3.1 Bighorn lwb

Re: Wizard auto gearbox

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:45 pm

aw30-80le in isuzu speak or with minor differences an A340 in Toyota speak. Not sure if its made by Assin Warner or Jatco but its one of the most common boxes out there in slighhtly different trims etc. A 2wd version can be found in some Volvos
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mudgrip4 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:42 pm

Thanks for that - thought it was a generic box.
Have just been looking at a 97 4JG2 wizard as a home truck/hunter but too scruffy. Nice vehicles but....will likely get one later in year and might pop some muds on it.

Interesting that the 97 model still had a mechanical fuel pump - easy to tweak. Certainly the 4JX1s are electronic but won't be buying one of those ...
mudgrip4
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:16 pm

It is interesting that although the 4jg2 was always a mechanical pump it had electronic control in the bighorn from about 95 but never in the Wizard or to my knowledge Mu. Wizard and Mu never got intercoolers either.
If the Wizard you were looking at is rough but mechanically sound and wof able (and registerable) I might be interested as a replacement for the old bighorn. Its wof runs out on Sunday and with the things I already know about Im not sure I can justify the cost of doing it. Then theres the things I dont know about yet. If its available and you dont want it send me a pm with details please
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mudgrip4 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:37 pm

Sorry just got message - did not bid on the Wizard as body was in poor nick inside and out, turbo shot, shocks had it, steering box gone, some electrics had it, and all 4 mudgrips had it. Wasn't worth spending $$ on.

Pity as motor and box good. Just a bit more routine maintenance over the last few years and it could have been a good truck still. Yes no turbo in the 1997 - and straight mechanical pump. Means they will be easy to tweak fuel and pump timing like the old 4JBiT.
mudgrip4
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:46 pm

easy to tweak but lower limit due to indirect injection and you loose half of it in the auto. In saying that though they cruise nice and the coil rear and longer front a arms make for great articulation. My trolley jack under the front chassis will lift a 32 on the bighorn well off the ground but only just lift the 28 factory size off the ground on the wizard. If I have the 31s on I have to put a block on the jack or jack under the a arm. Wizard still has roll bars the bighorn doesnt.
If it was going to be a bush truck why worry about a battered body?
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mudgrip4 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:18 pm

Meant no intercooler in post above. I did not want a straight bush truck - wanted it to be at least average body nick and this one wasn't.

I recall taking my 4x4 club out for a ramp articulation testing session years ago. 26 trucks including several safaris, lots of cruisers, high lifted hiluxes, mitsi etc. My suspension lift 1988 Bighorn swb rated 6th best - well ahead of alot hiluxes and the odd safari lwb. Standard 93 Bighorn lwb came in about 10th.

Showed very clearly that how you set up your trucks can have huge bearing on articulation. Various cruisers and hi luxes with high arc extra leaf spring lifts were shockers. Suspension very inflexible. One of the highly modded cruisers was 25th - just ahead of a stock Toyota van!

Will keep looking for wizard.
mudgrip4
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:26 pm

intercooler is another oddity of the wizard and mu. They never got one even in the gen3s with 4jx1 engines. easy to fit though if you can change the turbo outlet. When I changed the turbo on the wizard I fitted one to suit the intercooler even though it still doesnt have one. Meant a non standard silicon hose between turbo and crossover pipe
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mudgrip4 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:41 pm

Maybe lower profile bonnet? Cab certainly lower.

Might go have a look at this one - auto but that's ok and might not be too big job to swap to manual at some stage.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =760884333
mudgrip4
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:27 am

Do you have spare driveshafts? Not sure on wether there is bolt holes for the manual trans xmember. Auto ubs55s are rare and nearly all Lotus spec My books say they dont exist but Ive seen too many to believe the books. I have a spare diesel pump here if you want it and my bighorn is coming up for sale in a month or so. Its body looks like its been used as a rugby ball though.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion