• Advertisement

diesel help needed

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

diesel help needed

Postby terrycra » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:46 am

Hi does any one know of a good diesel engineer in the nelson tasman area here in new zealand,its very hard to find some one that knows what they are talking about when it comes to my 3.1 isuzu, cheers :o
terrycra
Isuzu Baby

City: nelson
Vehicle: 1996 isuzu bighorn diesel

Re: diesel help needed

Postby isuzurob » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:31 am

What are you trying to fix??
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby terrycra » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:03 pm

trying to work out why my 3.1 bighorn diesel ,revs up and down when idling ,more so when you first start it in the morning,seems that when you turn the heater blower up to about 3 it goes away,some times happens when it is warmed up,then it just goes away till the next time,i know that the glow plugs need to be done,but i dont think that is the problem,some say its the fuel pump some say a sensor and a lot of other things other than that it runs well with no smoke and good economy ,also seems that the colder the day the worse it is,may be i will just have to wait till summer. cheers
terrycra
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:06 pm

Ill give you an excelent one in Wellington but run your problem past us first. It might be an easy fix you can do yourself.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby terrycra » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi geeves i do not know how i can discribe it any better than my post ,that i sent at about 5.00 pm today any help thanks
terrycra
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:12 pm

it does sound more glow plug like but could be a sticky injector or pump problem etc. Yours will have a ecu controlled pump and these do wear the governor causing the hunting at idle you describ although it does it all the time. My Wizard is quite bad for this but always settles within 30sec or so. Ive had a few goes at fixing it.The Wizard doesnt have the ecu controlled pump.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby MrRevhead » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:17 am

Hi terrycra, who have you been to locally? What do these run in the way of diagnostics? If it's ECU controlled a proper scan tool should output various sensors readings which will point in the right direction.
The trick will be getting it to do it when the scanner is attached!
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby terrycra » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi it all most seems like it may be the weather ,to day here in nelson its been quiet warm,its ran good all day with no problems ,i am beginning to think that may be it has air leak,sucking the cold air in,and now after a warm day the air temp is warmer,does this sound possible ?
terrycra
Isuzu Baby

Postby MrRevhead » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:45 pm

No, not really :)
If you want I might be able to take a look next weekend but I'm not that familiar with the 3.1
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby geeves » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:51 am

in order of likely hood
faulty glow plug Test with a multimeter
front seal on fuel pump This seal can be done without taking the pump out but radiator. and all the belts have to come out first. Most diesel shops will tell you you need a full rebuild which isnt entirely correct
faulty egr valve Block off
faulty sensor or ecu One for the experts
low compression cylinder With the engine running is there lots of fumes at the oil filler cap?
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion