• Advertisement

Newbie here!

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Newbie here!

Postby samk115 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi all. I'm new to the 4x4 scene in general, have fiddled around with race cars prior and am also a mechanic so I'm looking forward to something new!

I recently picked up a 94 bighorn swb off a workmate with the 4jg2 in it, really happy with it so far. It's had a bigger exhaust put on to help pull heat away, a k&n air filter and has had the hubs swapped to manuals.

I'm currently looking for new tyres for it and I'm leaning towards something like the mickey Thompson atz. It seems good for what I'd like to do. I'm currently running some 265/70r16s on the factory alloys, but I'm wondering if 265/75r16s will fit on the old girl ok without any sort of lifting???

Anyway, I just thought I'd say gidday and sneak that question in at the same time!!

Cheers,

Sam
samk115
Isuzu Baby

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 94 Bighorn 3.1TD SWB

Re: Newbie here!

Postby dubdubdub » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:43 am

Hi Sam, welcome :D, bigger exhaust helps... getting my bighorn a 3 inch down pipe this weekend :mrgreen: .. also installing a EGT so I can see whats going on when I crank the diesel pump up.. Ive got 31'' muds on and loving it.. highly recommend over a/t's obviously all depends on how much you off road 265/75R15 will fit no problem with no lifting required very similar to a 31x10.5r15 but go muds :) :) post a pic of the new whip!!
dubdubdub
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu Bighorn LWB 3.1 turbo diesel, 31'' Achilles Desert Hawks Muds

Postby samk115 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:54 pm

The ATZ is a 50% Mud 50% Road tyre, so is a bit better than a regular AT but not quite as good as a full MT tyre. Ill be driving the truck to work Most days so id like to keep it relativley practical on the road whilst being able to take it on a few mild trips and take it to a few hunting spots. Being on a 16" Rim the tyres will end up being about 31.6", the ones on it currently work out to be around 30.6", so im hoping the extra inch will fit OK with no rubbing. I can always try and find a tyre option that is the same size as i have now but options seem quite limited.

If i was to look into a more mud oriented tyre what options come reccomended that have decent capability off road but dont howl like a stuck pig on the road?

I dont think ill bother messing around with boost or fuelling, im quite happy with the performance as it is, but who knows how long that will last i guess :D The exhaust is a full system from the turbo back, 3" the whole way with only one muffler in the system so it should help pull heat away. Quite a few places seem to reccomend EGT gauges so prehaps i shall look into that in the future.

The next Mod id like to do is probably a snorkel, Ive been looking at safari snorkels, and i know they have a great reputation, but is there any cheaper alternatives avaliable? Also, if anyone has a factory bullbar they would like to sell i wouldnt mind hearing from you!
samk115
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:06 pm

re snorkels Safari are one of the best but I had to value the one on my truck for the insurance co. Glad I was sitting down. 4x4bits didnt list the bighorn one but the Hilux was close enough for a valuation at $590 Have a look on trade me though There is someone selling MCC branded snorkels to fit from time to time. Totally unimpressed with the MCC branded recovery straps but there bar work seems ok so the snorkel should be ok.
Is your truck still on standard suspension? For going up to 265/75/16 tyres see if you have plenty of clearance at full lock both ways If it looks like you have plenty of clearance to the chassis rail and the rear of the guard you should be ok. As for mud tyres most these days are quite quiet some will make less noise than your chosen AT tyre. Look at the Cooper stt the Hankook dynamic MT and the Maxis buckshot. All these are at the milder end of mud tyres. You can always get a second set of rims and a set of Simex Centipedes later
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby samk115 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:54 pm

Thanks for the advice there Geeves. Aparrantly it is still on standard suspension but seems to sit quite high compared to others. Could be the bigger tyres on it. I have not found the mcc branded snorkels on trademe but did find one listed as "mudstuck"https://touch.trademe.co.nz/motors/listing/view/768125329 which seems not too bad of a price. Does anyone have an idea on quality of these products?
samk115
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:47 pm

Mudstuck has been dealing on trademe for a while and looks to have a good feedback. I thought Id bought off him myself but it appears not. Price is quite good as well.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion