• Advertisement

Recovery Options

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Recovery Options

Postby samk115 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi All.

Im looking for some Cheap forms of Vehicle Recovery when the Missus and I head out for a bit of solo exploring.

We arent likley to go any where extreme, mainly well used 4wd routes (things like macetown or the nevis etc if anyone is familiar) so chances of actually getting stuck are low, but id like to have some form of protection just in case.

Expensive electric winches arent really an option as the whole point of me buying the truck was to cut down on the amount of dosh i had tied up in vehicles (Race cars eat cash like nobodys business). I have been looking at Hand pullers like the one here:
http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/online- ... 0503#Cross

I have also heard you can use a Hi-Lift or Farm-style jack as a winch, a bit of a search found the following:
http://www.4wdbits.co.nz/ProductDetails ... uctID=4231

Obviously i understand that either option is labour intensive, but i dont mind that as i am relativley fit and again, chances of actually getting stuck are low. Any trips that would be in more extreme terrain would be carried out with more experienced friends who have all the gear plus other trucks! Would i get away with either of these options, with the main requirement being keeping it relativley cheap, but being able to do the job if i am prepared to put in the effort when required?
samk115
Isuzu Baby

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 94 Bighorn 3.1TD SWB

Re: Recovery Options

Postby muzila » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:08 am

U be better to get the Hi lift jack option. That way you have the jack as well. The hand winch is just that. Good for not alot else. Supercheap also sell the jacks and all the chains and bits. Price it all up and see what comes out better.

Good luck with the trips and enjoy the time out. :)
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby geeves » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:07 pm

Re hand puller I have one pretty much the same but it was rated 4 ton not 4000kg Reading further it became apparent that a chinese ton is really 1000lb not kg. If you go this way read the documentation very carefully and kick up a fuss if this turns out to be the case. 5.5mm wire rope would not normally be rated to 4 real ton. These things do have there place but with only about 3 meters or cable they are limited for recovery. I have used mine to get back on the track as it was easier than rigging the real winch to pull from the side but if you find yourself 20 metres into a bog bad luck.

The hilift option does give more options but its a lot heavier and expensive Once again out of the box yu are limited to 5 metres plus or minus whatever you are attached to.
In both cases you can set up a winch extension rope or strap and prussic hitches to get you out of trouble over a bigger distance but be certain its hard slow work. Ever cut a hardwood power pole into firewood with a hand saw. I have and now own a chainsaw
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby samk115 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:31 pm

geeves wrote: Ever cut a hardwood power pole into firewood with a hand saw. I have and now own a chainsaw

Brilliant analogy!!

I think the eventual plan will be a decent Tirfor style winch, I like the fact that hand winches are not constrained to one particular section of the vehicle, i.e what good is a front mounted electric winch if your nose deep in the proverbial? However, decent capacity Tirfor seem to be quite expensive so am looking for something that will "do the job" so to speak for now.

I do like the fact that the hi-lift is multi use, however the size is a concern, the old girl does not currently have any roof racks which would be my ideal was of carrying such an item. (currently searching for some but they seem elusive!!!) Regardless of wether or not i plan on using it for winching i am planning to add one to the excursion kit sooner or later.

I have found a cheaper option for the puller style: http://www.topmaq.co.nz/item/view/4-Ton ... u=AVWI0950
which combined with a decent size winch extension rope would hopefully be capable of getting me unstuck with a fair bit of effort, and should be a quite cheap setup for the meantime. Has anyone used one of these branded pullers?

Or should i just wait until the next pay or so and pick-up the hi-lift kit?

Thanks for the opinions so far, the advice is much appreciated, and thanks for not just abusing me for not wanting to fit an electric winch!!
samk115
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:50 pm

I do like the fact that the hi-lift is multi use, however the size is a concern, the old girl does not currently have any roof racks which would be my ideal was of carrying such an item
Bigger issue is the lack of jacking points it will hook to. I have the same problem with my new wagon untill I build the rear bumper and side steps.
I will have to do a write up on the boot box my wagon came with as its well thought out except fot the fact that there are no latches on the doors. It was designed to take a highlift shovel etc
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby samk115 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:12 pm

If you get a chance to do that write up and take a few photos prehaps that would be excellent geeves, Sounds like it could be a great storage option!
samk115
Isuzu Baby

Postby varnz10 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:49 pm

I got a high lift jack from promark I think reasonably priced, the chain and bits would be great and make the job very easy, but I have pulled my 2 ton tractor out of axle deep mud before using this set up. Yes labour intensive and hard work, but without forking out for an electric winch well worth it. I have made up some brackets in the back of the truck that it bolts to across the back doors(48 inch one) and have a rear ladder for the 60 inch one to bolt to.

Hope that helps, as of yet have to pull the truck out with it, but its there:)
varnz10
Isuzu Baby

City: Kerikeri
Vehicle: 93 Bighorn LWB Lotus LTD 2.8 4JB1-T 2.??? Suspension lift
4.5 LSD in the back
Aussie Lokka for the front on the wish list
Snorkel
2000 Holden Montery All standard

Postby samk115 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:09 am

After some thought I have decided to head down the hi-lift route. I have sliders/running board hybrid things on the side of the truck that will be easily strong enough to Jack from so I can use it in a jacking capacity as well as a recovery option. I will look further into mounting it when it arrives, but I think I'm going to have to look harder for a roof rack / basket set up!
samk115
Isuzu Baby

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion