• Advertisement

4jb1 oil cooler thermostats, are they necessary ?

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

4jb1 oil cooler thermostats, are they necessary ?

Postby BalkaRoo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:46 pm

Just doing the water hoses that go to the oil cooler (mongrel job isn't it) and I see there is a thermostat fitted in line to one of the hoses going to the cooler. On my vehicle this thermostat has been rubbing on the back of the block and is almost rubbed through where the two halves are joined and I would replace it if one was available but the parts blokes either have never heard of it or tell me it was obsoleted 10 years ago and is now unavailable. Is this thing necessary or could I run a plain heater hose to the cooler and not do any harm. I can look for a second hand one from a wreckers but it may take ages before I can get to the big smoke to look for it. Was this thing fitted to any other engines or only the 4jb1 ?
I gather it is there to heat up the oil to 76 degrees and then start cooling the oil down at that temperature.

Any opinions ?

Graham

Edit
Sorry, looks like I posted this in the wrong section !
BalkaRoo
Isuzu Baby

City: Quairading
Vehicle: 1984 Jackaroo 2 Ltr
1988 Jackaroo 2.8 Ltr Diesel
1887 Jackaroo 2.2 Ltr Diesel

Re: 4jb1 oil cooler thermostats, are they necessary ?

Postby geeves » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:53 pm

A few people have removed them and it makes changing those hoses easier although factory hoses wont fit any more.
My uneducated thought on this is that the water heats faster than the oil or so close to the same that it doesnt matter.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: 4jb1 oil cooler thermostats, are they necessary ?

Postby BalkaRoo » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanks Alan !
I hope it doesn't matter, I have already replaced the hose with a straight bit with no thermostat in it. Ideally I wouldn't have taken it out but I didn't trust the condition it was in and the last thing I need in the middle of nowhere is to have it start dropping coolant everywhere.

You and IsuzuRob were right, its a sod of a job to do isn't it ! The car was getting threatened with all sorts of things when I was head down tail up replacing it.
I don't think not being able to use genuine hoses will be a problem because I couldn't get any to fit there anyway.

Just a word of caution to anyone reading/googling this for information if you are having the same trouble, I bought a "complete engine hose kit" off E'Bay to help with these repairs. I decided that if one hose had gone I would replace them all because I am getting ready to do a long trip in April so I saw this kit. After contacting the seller enquiring as to the number of hoses in the kit I was told "all the hoses you need to replace the entire cooling systems hose set" (no numbers being mentioned). What I got was a bag of MacKay hoses with 7 hoses in it, The large top and bottom hoses and 2 of the heater hoses fitted, the other 3 weren't for this application. There are 12 hoses in the 4JB1T engines and I had to round up the ones I didn't get in the kit from all over the place. I ended up getting all of them except the oil cooler hose that actually failed and one of the other heater hoses but some were standard bends you could cut the necessary hoses out of. Just be warned to check what you are getting if you purchase one of these "Kits". I don't actually think it was the sellers fault because all the hoses had MacKay labels saying the application was correct but the hoses still didn't fit. I think it is probably the factory that was at fault. It may only be a variation between right and left hand drive, I don't know, just speculating, but BE WARNED !

Thanks Alan
Graham
BalkaRoo
Isuzu Baby

City: Quairading
Vehicle: 1984 Jackaroo 2 Ltr
1988 Jackaroo 2.8 Ltr Diesel
1887 Jackaroo 2.2 Ltr Diesel

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion