• Advertisement

Fix for auto starting problem Done

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Fix for auto starting problem Done

Postby zacco » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:08 am

G day blokes, posting this to help others with same problem. Vehicle is a 91 2.6 EFI Rodeo with 03-72L auto trans.Car wouldnt start in park or neutral without a lot of jigging around with the shift lever.There is a harness from a switch on the trans which goes into the engine bay near the break booster.This goes to starting relay and the ECU.This switch can be cleaned and made to function as its supposed to.
Disconnect the shift linkage from the selector shaft on the trans. This is a 12 mm nut.Remove the bar from the selector shaft.On mine this was a tight press fit.Under this is a 22 mm nut with a lock washer.Remove this.There is also a 10 mm bolt holding this switch in alignment. Remove this.Due to all the crud behind the switch it was awkward to get off, just slides of the shaft.(also a tight press fit)
Follow the harness into the engine bay and unplug it.Remove all cable ties and your switch is free.Clean externals of switch.Turn it over , there are 6 or 7 small screws holding it together.

Warning , small parts inside!
Remove all screws, preferably over a clean rag.Prise the halves apart.The plastic half contains fixed copper contacts, metal half has a rotating arm.This arm has two spring loaded floating contacts.On mine the grease in the switch had hardened around the springs preventing them from making good contact .Remove the two contacts, degrease springs and holes.
I used 400 wet and dry to resurface the contacts.There is a gasket between the two halves of the switch, mine fell apart so I used silicon RTV when I reassembled it after lubricating inside the switch.
Ater you have put the switch on the trans loosen the 10 mm bolt , this allows the switch to be rotated slightly for adjustment so the gear indicator lines up in the cab selector display.
Disclaimer, I used a small amount of fishing reel grease for lube.Check with an auto lekky for your own plece of mind.Geeves, I have excellent pics of the switch but cant upload.Could I email them to you for posting.
Thanks, Zacco
1989 2wd rodeo4ze1 soon to be 2.8 T/d auto,manual whatever
zacco
Isuzu Junior

City: kuranda
Vehicle: 1991 Isuzu 2.8 t/d,
Mods , holden badges removed, tweaked fuel pump
1991 rodeo d/cab 4ZE1 auto , the horror , the horror !

Re: Fix for auto starting problem Done

Postby geeves » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:36 pm

You can send them to me but first try scrolling down and you will find a tab called upload attachment. Click that and follow the instructions. Only catch should be picture size. You might need to resize the photos to 640x480 using a picture programme like irfanview. (its free)
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion