• Advertisement

Holden Rodeo 92 TF Repairs

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Holden Rodeo 92 TF Repairs

Postby flywire » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:37 am

I have oil everywhere under the vehicle and I see I am going through a lot of steering fluid, say 100 ml in 1/2 hr of town driving, so I will start with the main seal on the steering pump although I understand that it could be a worn shaft. How do I confirm which?

I could use some advice about the line of oil across the undercarriage. Best I can describe it is that it is in line with the universal joint at the rear of the transmission. Maybe it is just the oil from the steering pump working it's way back to here and being spun off. Any thoughts?

There is a fair amount of old oil inside the clutch housing, say similar to the underside of an engine with a slow oil leak. Is this any concern? Perhaps a main seal on the engine? I notice a small hole broken from the bottom of the flywheel housing on the engine side, say big enough to put a pen though. Is this a concern?

BTW After undoing the impossible bolts around the engine the transmission is bloody heavy when you are laying on your back in the dirt. Sort of an unplanned stack of cards falling out.
flywire
Isuzu Baby

City: Sydney
Vehicle: HZ Holden

Re: Holden Rodeo 92 TF Repairs

Postby geeves » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:14 am

Most common seal to leak on the steering is the input shaft but this is also a shaft prone to wear. A new seal may work otherwise a speedy sleeve might be required as well. It could also be a hose leak or the seal at the bottom or if very unlucky leaking through the top plate.
The gearbox line of oil could be this but more likely to be the rear seal
Bellhousing will be either the input seal to the gearbox or the rear main. A proper repair is gearbox out so fairly major but a lot of people drill a 2mm hole in the bottom of the bellhousing to drain the oil until next time the clutch requires work.Chose your spot with care
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:08 pm

the 2mm hole just stops oil getting on the clutch and is small enough that the bell housing doesnt get a lot of water in during river crossings
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby flywire » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:25 pm

Pulled the clutch out and it looks in good condition. I am going to put it back in. I thought I saw somewhere to run some sand paper over the faces to take the glazing off them but I can't find the reference. Any advice there?

The seals were weeping so good to replace them.
flywire
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:19 pm

Its much the same as doing the same to disk breaks but possibly less important on a clutch. Clutches dont get so hot and are not intended to slip as much as brakes.
Just get some 300 to 600 grit paper and rub the shine off. Do remember there is a good chance there is asbestos in the clutch plate. (there may not be and the pack may of said there isnt but do you want to take the risk?)
On the old Bighorn dulling the disc this way often was the only repair necessary to get the handbrake through our safety inspection
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby flywire » Sat May 02, 2015 8:49 pm

geeves wrote:The gearbox line of oil ... likely to be the rear seal

I agree. How do I replace it? I understand that the rear of the transfer case rear assembly has a sleeve that must be removed to install the seal. I have banged it around but it shows no sign of moving. Any thoughts?
flywire
Isuzu Baby

Postby flywire » Sat May 02, 2015 9:33 pm

Good tip for transmission removal with engine crane: http://clubisuzu.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6622&p=41401&hilit=+rear+seal#p41399
flywire
Isuzu Baby

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion