• Advertisement

4JB1T Engine swap help please

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

4JB1T Engine swap help please

Postby zeditave » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:58 pm

This is my first enquiry on this website - I have a predicament with an engine swap in a 1999 Holden Rodeo (AUS). The ute's original motor (4JB1T) was cooked by my son. Thinking that I was doing the right thing I arranged for a reconditioned original exchange engine, but I ordered an intercooled by mistake. It will cost $1000 to send it back and get an original turbo engine exchange (WA to NSW & back). We have pulled out the old engine and the obvious differences between the two engines are the exhaust, oil filter housing and inlet manifold arrangement. But a different fuel pump (with extra wiring!) and various temp sensors are on the intercooled engine compared to the original 4JB1T. We are prepared to change the bonnet to fit the intercooled engine, but we need help on the electrical differences (i.e. more on the intercooled such as on the thermostat housing, fuel pump) and the vacuum lines on the inlet manifol side of things. We'll try to manage the exhaust manifold differences.

Can someone point me in the right direction so that I can help my son to install this intercooled engine to replace the normal 4JB1T please? Is there someone within this Club who can help, or some reference manuals or something, somewhere? I feel like a fool...

Geoff
zeditave
Isuzu Baby

City: Dongara
Vehicle: Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo 1997

Re: 4JB1T Engine swap help please

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:48 am

If you got the pump its fairly easy. You should be able to get a dump pipe made fairly cheaply On the pump you need a wire to the fuel cut off solinoid a tube from the top of the pump to the inlet side of the intercooler and maybe a vacume to the fast idle if you have air con. You can leave the vacumes off the valves on the inlet manifold These are for emmissions and everyone blanks them off. This is a minimum to run. Two other wires go to the tacho if you have one and cold start which can be left off in most of Aussi
The new filter is a Z402

If there is anyone handy with a Mu you can get a good idea of what it should look like.They are the same as your new engine even though they are non intercooled
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mulover » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:00 pm

It shouldn't cost you any more than $1000 to get it going, so i would stick with it and you will gain some extra power from the intercooler too.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby MattMu » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Easy as...Kepp it for sure!!!!

You will end up with the best of both worlds.

I would swap the oil filter housing over from the Rod to the new engine...that way the exhausts should match and you get the easy to remove filter and dump the QWS crap from the exhaust.
Inlet is the same just with EGR...block them off or fit the Rodeo manifold for a cleaner look.

If you need any other help...Im in Perth so MM and awe can swap ph numbers.

Matt.
The Fuel pump only requires the wiring that matched the rodeo as Geeves has said...Tacho, Solenoid and boost hose to manifold.
MattMu
Isuzu Baby

City: Perth
Vehicle: 2009 JK Wrangler TD Auto
99 2.8TD Rodeo
93 2.8TD MU

Postby zeditave » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:46 pm

Thanks guys! I can't believe your responses have been so quick and so encouraging.
Geeves: Is the fast idle on the fuel pump - we have an electric solenoid on top of it that goes to the idle screw stop? Where does the wire come from to this solenoid?
MattMu: (1) Will the original exhaust bolt up onto the intercooled turbo and allow us to change the oil filter housing so that we can also avoid expense of new exhaust? (2) Will the Rodeo original inlet manifold bolt straight over and still have the intercooler?

Thanks again guys - it's looking less daunting by the minute!

Can you also help me translate some of your acronyms please?
Mu =
QWS =

Matt - my name is Geoff & my ph no. is 0427 794 199. My son's name is Ben & his no. is 0428 121 280
zeditave
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:53 am

MU = Mysterious Utility This is a fancy body on a shortened ute chassis. Its called a Frontera in some countries and Amigo in others
QWS = quick warm up system. The part of this system mentioned is a flap in the casting attached below the turbo that restricts exhaust flow to warm the engine up quicker. Ive never used it in Wellington You wont need it there.
To bolt your manifolds to the new turbo means rotating the housing on the intake side. Depending on which turbo it is this can be tricky.
The wire mentioned sounds like the fast idle. Its optional if you have air con and surplus if you dont
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby zeditave » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks geeves - who said Kiwis weren't useful? Only joking mate - got heaps of Kiwi mates here.
We feel much more confident now with this engine swap thanks to you guys. We might keep the oil filter set up as is on the new TC engine if the exhaust/turbo swap is tricky.
We took the timing cover off to check the timing belt - it looks good. What free play should we be seeing there?
zeditave
Isuzu Baby

Postby MattMu » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:55 am

Geoff can you give me some pics of the engine exhaust, intercooler and turbo setup? I know you said this is an IC engine and apart from a few UK versions only the Jackaroo had the 2.8 turbo intercooled engine.

If this one has the turbo etc all ready fitted then you dont have to rotate turbo or anything else like that...just drop the manifold off the back of the turbo and the rodeo should match...but the oil filter was vertical on the imports while the Rodeos filter points to the rear (better to change and more room for exhaust to pass).

If this is a Jackaroo engine, then it may be a mix of both. I need to chat or see them to know for sure and then I can tell you exactly what fits and what you need to change.

I playing a state touch campionship all weekend and wont be back here till later tonight and then late sunday so if you want to ring then try and f I can pickup I will...so just keep trying at different times or throw some pics up and I will check back tonight.

0407 481 226
Matt.
MattMu
Isuzu Baby

City: Perth
Vehicle: 2009 JK Wrangler TD Auto
99 2.8TD Rodeo
93 2.8TD MU

Postby zeditave » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi Matt - I'm off to Melb tomorrow and Ben is left to do the work. I'll pass your ph no. to him. Thanks mate; I can't begin to thank you enough.
zeditave
Isuzu Baby

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion