• Advertisement

HELP - My Wizard (4jx1) over raved

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

HELP - My Wizard (4jx1) over raved

Postby Superdave84 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:45 pm

Hi guys,

My baby just over raved to 6 .... after doing a daring floor it to beat the lights (silly) I know. It didn't stop raving up until I put it on Neutral and then switched it off. Now my car wont start again. Any ideas before I give it out to a mechanic - most in Mombasa; Kenya don't know anything to do with an Isuzu wizard 4jx1.

Also advise on the correct engine oil to use here and what to do during service (yes am a newbie in the diesel world) considering Mombasa has no winter its hot and humid mostly.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
Superdave84
Isuzu Baby

City: Mombasa
Vehicle: Isuzu Wizard 3.0 Diesel Turbo, 2000

Re: HELP - My Wizard (4jx1) over raved

Postby Superdave84 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Anyone with any info please help
Superdave84
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:17 pm

A couple of things may of happened but its had to know with the little info we have.
If the engine hit 6k then the rev limiter didnt stop it. This cuts fuel to the injectors so either its faulty or the engine was getting fuel from somewhere else. On the 4jx1 faulty o rings in the injectors can leak fuel into the oil. Under extreme conditions this fuel can boil and go through the breather as gas and the engine will run on it. However if this was happening turning the key off would not work. Still check the oil for severe overfilling and strong diesel smell. Other options are failures in the ecu etc which doesnt happen very often

You say it wont start now. What does it do when you try? Is it turning over at all? turning over quick or slow or normal?
Oil always use the best synthetic you can get Most parts of the world recomend 0w40 or 5w40 but over there you shouldnt have issues with 10w40
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Superdave84 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:37 pm

Geeves,

It cranks but no ignition - oil does smell like diesel and the smoke smelt funny too. The tappet made some clicking noise.

Lets say this happened - ''On the 4jx1 faulty o rings in the injectors can leak fuel into the oil. Under extreme conditions this fuel can boil and go through the breather as gas and the engine will run on it.''

What would be the contingency for that?

I also saw some oil on the air cleaner area.

:(
Superdave84
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:27 pm

If the engine goes into runaway because of that then often it cant be stopped and will run faster and faster till it blows up. If the engine had a catastrophic failure at the same time as you turned off the key I would of expected the engine to either not turn over at all or turn over fast or uneven. If its turning over normal my money goes to the injectors or ecu. Neither of these things are for diy to play with. A trip to a mechanic starting with a compression test would be my place to start
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion