• Advertisement

Best Isuzu?

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Best Isuzu?

Postby willyr » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:08 pm

Just wondering if there is any year or model of Isuzu that lends it's self to mods and 4x4ing more so than others? Or anything that is more hard work than others and should be avoided? I know everyone will have there favorites but just wondering.
Cheers.
willyr
Isuzu Baby

City: Blenheim
Vehicle: 1990 bighorn

Re: Best Isuzu?

Postby geeves » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:23 pm

Ive had a 89 bighorn the same as yours and loved it for 19 years and in that time it took far more than its share of abuse and it just came back looking for more. In that time I drained water out of the gearbox and diffs more than once I had water inside up to the seat cushions I even parked it once in a Jeep. Hard to kill but it eventually surcumed to rust. That had home made bars a 50mm lift 2.5 inch exhaust and snorkel rear locker and a removed sway bar and 32 inch tyres. It was limited by a lack of travel in the front which along with the limited travel in the rear springs did lead to a few wheels in the air and you learnt to drive to allow it. On a ramp it scored 499 which isnt bad for a lwb but thats only part of the story. Drive it like its stolen and you dont need wheel travel. The 4jb1 is indestructable if you keep the oil clean and dont overheat it. (does fully off scale on temp guage count as overheating)
The Mus have the same suspension up to about 94 so the same limitation but after that they got the same front end as the 92 onwards bighorn which is a big improvement but still leaves on the back.
I now have a 94 swb bighorn. With the longer A arms in the front the front travel is far better and coils on the back are magic. I havnt put it on a ramp yet but know it will be good even with the sway bars attached still. I ran out of garage roof height fitting the new rear springs. Its easier to get aftermarket parts for as they are common to bighorns through to 2004. Engine is good but it doesnt sing like the old 2.8 but it gets the job done. Maybe if I spent some time and money it might. It will get the 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust at some stage
I also have a 96 Wizard as a road car It has the same suspension as the 94 bighorn but also has abs brakes I have taken it off road a couple of times and its great but no hooks and no desire to wreck it when I have a bighorn for that. Once again the 3 inch exhaust is calling its name.
Neither 3.1 has economy to match the old 4jb1 but they are ok the 4jb1 could manage 8.5l/100km the 3.1 in the manual bighorn will get maybe 9.5 but the Wizard which is auto struggles to get under 10.
The petrol engines are all good if you can quench there thirst ie 2.6 3.2 or 3.5
The 4jx1 diesel used in the bighorns and wizards after 98 is an engine to be cautious about. When it is good it is very very good when its not its rotten. Its really only got 2 faults. The injectors and the electonics. Normal mechanics cant understand either.
They are all good but what is best would depend on what you want LWB or SWB Mu/Wizard style or bighorn shed looks The coil spring give better travel but the vehicles they are fitted to are heavier.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mattmannz » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:58 am

The Pre 96 trucks usually don't have abs or air bags - neither of which you really want in an OFFROAD truck as it makes modifying them harder. Also 96 was the changeover year for the electronic pump which means you cant up fuel and boost for more power.
mattmannz
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 3.1TD Bighorn manual LWB

Postby geeves » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:55 pm

You can but often have to put up with a high idle afterwards. The electronic version has about 10kw more anyway
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby danz20 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:00 am

How do I get more.power with high idle
danz20
Isuzu Junior

City: auckland
Vehicle: 1996 swb bighorn 3.1 manual

Postby geeves » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:17 am

When you increase fuel the idle increases but you cant wind it back on the electronic version
It might be possible to chip it but thats expensive and I dont know if a chip exists for this engine
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion