• Advertisement

I had an epiphany

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

I had an epiphany

Postby slightlydodgy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:57 pm

i have been grumbling about the lack of power in my 2.6 petrol for some time as most of you have probably noticed :oops: The other day I scored a hilux transfercase to start a slow conversion. Yesterday I went to the junk man- you know the guy he's the guy with the yard full of crap in every townto see if he had an old holden tranny for test fitting. He found an old stuffed one for nothing then we had a chat. What did I use the ute for? (farm work and second vehicle that can carry the odd large item) What had I done to it ?(see mod list) Did it do what I bought it for? (most of the time) Why did I need more power?? (For towing a tandem trailer of stock) I went home and put the transfercase and tranny side by side and realised that it would be at least 200mm longer than the current set up, drive shafts, selectors, crossmembers and sumps would all have to be changed plus certification in a ute with a book value of $3k :? that i use everyday. We are currenly considering looking for another job so the only things I should be towing are the calf trailer at cow pace or our atvs to rides so I dont really need huge power. The ute runs real well since I changed the plugs leads, oil and filters and is still cabable of 140 odd k on the flat. Soooo Ill sell the hilux transfercase (hint :lol: )go back a tyre size to 31s on my next change (unless anyone wants to swap :) ) make a snorkel (had a few pudles go over the bonnet this spring I sucked water and going slower is no fun!) make a roll bar (for looks :D ) and shift the cigarette lighter. Guess what I learnt was to think hard about that mod
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Re: I had an epiphany

Postby geeves » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:25 pm

There is a big difference between a vehicle used for work and one used for fun. The work vehicle should be set up for what it needs to do and little more and it must be reliable. The fun car can have what the owner can afford and if it breaks then it gets fixed as and when it can be.
In your situation your choice is a wise one
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: I had an epiphany

Postby mulover » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:35 am

I fully agree there. I used to do what ever i wnated to my mu in NZ as i had a work vechile, now my toyota over here is my only vehcile, i have to make sure it will still be going to get to work the next day.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion