• Advertisement

Is My Isuzu Wizard worth spending the money on?

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Re: Is My Isuzu Wizard worth spending the money on?

Postby aussie49 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:18 pm

Thanks geeves, ok for brakes, have new disc pads and the handbrake shoes/drum are in very good condition.
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

City: Wheatlands
Vehicle: Isuzu 2012 D-Max / Isuzu 1996 Wizard MU Auto Diesel

Postby aussie49 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:26 pm

Pleased to meet you Gazza1904, the old wizards are built like a tank, few new parts and it will be going like a charm. Out of interest where do you search for parts?
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:23 pm

That is a brake seal kit you have linked to hence my question on the brakes
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby aussie49 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:24 pm

Sorry I didn't finish the sentence off right. Yes, I need to replace the rubbers on the disc calipers. Piston and body all good.
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

Postby Gazza1904 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:25 am

Hi aussie49, haven't had to search for too many parts yet as it came with a heap of spares including a complete motor. eBay is not too bad though, most of the mechanicals are a mix of Rodeo, Frontera & Jackaroo so fairly easy to source.
Gazza1904
Isuzu Baby

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 96 Isuzu MU Wizard

Postby aussie49 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks Gazza1904. Good old ebay, have found lots of good things there. Should have some bushes of ebay too day. Will have to meet up and test these wizard out. :idea:
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

Postby aussie49 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:40 am

Going along well with wizard repairs, wait for more parts from Strongs, NZ. Received the turbo from China two days ago, guess what you would not believe it, too small. The muffler/manifold outlet end are smaller. Made contact with the company, see what comes of it. Draw back from shopping over seas. :x Question for geeves, is it possible that a turbo modification had be done? Different exhaust manifold to the standard fit one or different turbos different exhaust manifold. Don't know much about turbos but learning very fast.
Last edited by aussie49 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:18 pm

dont know others may know more
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:31 am

which part is to small the dump pipe at the back of the turbo where the 4 bolts connect or is the back of the turbo to small.
Do you have photos of them you can compare the old turbo to the new 1 you bought for size at the back.
Some times you need to loosen the exhaust pipe underneath the truck to line it up to fit the back of turbo then redo the mountings back up.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby stardog » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:22 am

Which part is different the 1 or 2 I marked in the photo just to be sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby aussie49 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:33 pm

stardog, sorry, I have been away for a few days. Part One is smaller and the engine manifold side on turbo is smaller also.
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

Postby stardog » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:35 pm

I think you have bought the wrong turbo looking at the sellers photos that inlet to the manifold is way to small.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby stardog » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:40 pm

This is what the proper turbo looks like I out lined the area that you are saying is to small.
The one marked in white is that to small to fit on the manifold.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby aussie49 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:47 pm

stardog, The one out lined in white is small also. 4JG2 motor ( believe should have been 4JG2T), I have been told sometimes they just drop the "T" but means the same. Part #8971297081 same number on my turbo and the one I bought. Everything matches up (or does it) so could you please explain why then the difference. Company in China (Alibaba) very difficult too get info out off. I think I might just off load turbo on ebay, but what is the motor it will fit is my next guess. Thanks for your help.
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

Postby stardog » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:17 am

I googled the number ihi 8971297081 seems to be a couple of different turbo sizes in the photos that came up.
But the 1 you have will not fit on the exhaust manifold its to small where it bolts on I wouldn't have a clue what engine it will fit but it did look the same as the 1 for a 4jb2 engine.
I have never heard of a 4jb2 engine before only 4jb1 maybe someone else knows about these engines on this site.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby aussie49 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:25 pm

To geeves or stardog...Sorry I have been away for awhile. Well it has been a long and sometimes spent frustrating days trying to get this monster out of my workshop. It finally happen the other day, even thought it meant pushing the Wizard out of the shed. It just won't start for me, tested all the glow plugs these came up good, then I find no power to the glow plugs, pulled the relays for these apart and looked ok. Tested the power wires going into the relays, no power going through the glow plug relays!! Dose this mean I need to replace these relays? With the near new battery going flat, jumper leads not heavy enough, by this I was ready too burn the Wizard. Made a new heavy set of jumper leads, hooked up the D-Max, ah!!! motor now turns over good, but not firing, I see that the dash light for fuel does not go out while cranking, guess there is still air in the pump and fuel line. I guess one day it will surprise me.
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

Postby stardog » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:14 am

The light means you have water in the filter I would change the fuel filter and drain the fuel tank and put some clean fuel in it for starters.
Then prime the fuel pump filter until there is no air bubbles coming out off the 10mm bolt.
Then make up a live wire from battery to your fuel solenoid on the pump I would use a alligator clip on the battery side to disconnect to turn off the engine.
Have you checked all of the fuses as well under the bonnet and inside the cabin.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Previous

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion