• Advertisement

Is My Isuzu Wizard worth spending the money on?

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Is My Isuzu Wizard worth spending the money on?

Postby aussie49 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Bought a 1996(1998) Isuzu Wizard Wagon Auto, Diesel 4x4, early this month, very tidy inside, out side good with very few dents. Not sure if I new what I was letting my self in for. Few things need doing, a little to my surprise, injector fuel pump, turbo is shot, these are the big ticket items. Bushes, seal and mounts not to bad. Had mud tyres put on just before I purchased the wagon. I have tracked down a company in New Zealand ("Strong For Isuzu") that seem to a good bet. Also can buy a new turbo from China, has anybody bought a turbo from China? My question is this Isuzu Wizard worth spending the cash on it? Anyone have some ideas that my nudge me in the right direction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

City: Wheatlands
Vehicle: Isuzu 2012 D-Max / Isuzu 1996 Wizard MU Auto Diesel

Re: Is My Isuzu Wizard worth spending the money on?

Postby geeves » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:13 am

What is wrong with the turbo and pump?
If the pump is leaking it is possible to do the outer seals relatively cheaply.
Turbo depends as well If its leaking oil or has play in the shaft or is siezed it needs changing If it has a whistle when you turn off it will need changing sometime in the next year If it has a harmonic whine at certain revs and loads it may carry on like that forever.
The truck looks nice but is 20 years old but there are few trucks in a similar price and size range
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby aussie49 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:45 am

Hi! geeves,
Thanks for your reply. Pump is leaking in two places, where caps are, worse when idling, have read these maybe changed with the pump still on the engine?
Tubo: appears to be no oil leaks, there is a long slow down whistle when turned off, other then that I haven't noticed much when driving. Drove for four hours when I first bought it, goes good, there may be some smoke when hitting the throttle. Seems to have reasonable power. I paid AU$2900, just got quote (NZ$1065) from Strong For Isuzu, NZ, for some parts. $207 for pump, $454 fr turbo. I am only a self taught handyman, would be able to do most of the work required. What do you think.
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:48 am

I would shy away from a second hand turbo but it might be ok
Rob should advise on doing the seals
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby aussie49 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:21 pm

Thanks , geeves for your replies, I agree about the turbo, may end up with someone problems.
I guess with the fuel pump, best repair the one I have, least I know it is ok!
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Only question I will ask re the pump. When you start it cold does it run ok for about 20 seconds then miss badly until you rev it? Mine did that and Ive heard of one other 96 wizard with the same problem. Rebuilt pump fixed mine. The suspicion was sucking air through the front seal on the pump. This can also be done in place but you need to take the timing pulley off so its a major
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:44 pm

That's the wizard that was on eBay for sale nice looking wizard.
You can pick up a turbo brand new off eBay for about $400 make sure you don't get the one for the intercooled 4jg2t engine it wont fit unless you have a intercooler set up.
The injector pump I cant help there as I don't know any places in QLD I haven't lived up there for 18 years.
I know Gemini diesel in Sydney had some pumps on the shelf last year around $ 1150 fully reconditioned if I remember right.
stardog
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby aussie49 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:03 pm

You are correct stardog, was the wizard on ebay. Looks nice from the outside, but needs work underneath, nothing to major, I believe it has the 4jg2 engine. Do you know of anybody who has bought the turbo from China. Guess most these turbo are made in China? Have a quote of US$188 to the door.
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

Postby stardog » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:07 pm

I bought my turbo in Australia I will have to look it up who from but my wizard is now intercooled.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby stardog » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:29 am

This is the guys I bought my turbo off in Sydney and this one is for a Mu and wizard.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RHF5-HOLDEN- ... xyTMdTORAN
I haven't had any problems with the 1 I bought of f them so far.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby aussie49 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:45 am

stardog: Just had a look at the turbo on ebay link, my question: my parts number on the present turbo does not match(too many codes these days) the one on ebay. Also what is the difference between a 4jg2 and 4jg2T engine.?? Please explain! Also how does one figure out the engine type in the wizard.
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

Postby stardog » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:06 am

4jg2 is none turbo engine 4jg2t is turbo engine you have a 4jg2t engine same as my 96 wizard.
After 98 they had the 4jx1 engine stay away from them.
A lot of eBay sellers just put 4jg2 parts they forget about the t at the end.
But that turbo will fit your engine on eBay they all have different numbers.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby aussie49 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:17 pm

Stardog: sorry for being a royal pest, had a lot of trouble finding air cleaner element for the wizard, had to do a small modification for it to work, do you have brand/number for this filter.
Have you had anything to do with the turbo like the one in the following link. Buy turbo for US$188 (AU$250) .
http://forgingcasting.en.alibaba.com/pr ... 137.ELlrhS
As I am on a tight budget, I have to look for the best deals as you would know.
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

Postby stardog » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:35 pm

I don't know about those turbos $250 pretty cheap.
If you use eBay type in 4jg2 air filter in search plenty of them there this is where I get my ones about 19-20 bucks compered to super cheap usually 38 bucks.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby aussie49 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:32 pm

Thanks stardog, I will let you know how I go will everything, I guess up and onwards no turning back, work to be done, Thanks for all you help.
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

Postby aussie49 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:16 am

Work in progress with my Wizard. Received some parts from "Strong for Isuzu" New Zealand, excellent service, second hand parts are in very good condition. Have removed one rear axle as inner seal leaking, would like to replace outer seal and bearing. Hugh problem now, tried removing the bearing myself, did not work. Visited my mechanic's workshop and after leaving the axle with him for 4 days, then find out that his attempts failed also. Next stop, off to an engineer with very much experience, he said he would try but was somewhat concerned about the damage that may resolute from all the pressure on different parts of the axle. Has anyone ever had this bearing removed and how?
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:20 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/?2g2hc1kzeyend
Grab the manual above first
you need to score the retainer and bearing with a grinder then crack it with a cold chisel.
If either of the people that have worked on this already used heat you have saved yourself a lot of work. They are heat treated and hardened at factory. Heat weakens them severely. Just buy a new axle from strongs with new bearing already fitted
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby aussie49 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:38 am

To geeves
Thanks for the info, did get the retainer and bearing off the axle. have some parts from Strongs, very good service. Just a question, will parts for Bighorn/Trooper fit Isuzu Wizard 1996.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1875-FRBR-CY ... SwLpdW~RxZ
aussie49
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:06 am

should be ok Do you need brakes as well
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Gazza1904 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:59 pm

Definitely worth spending the money on, I've owned my '96 Wizard since mid last year and loving it! There aren't too many of us Wizard owners around so we need to preserve as many as we can 8-)
Gazza1904
Isuzu Baby

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 96 Isuzu MU Wizard

Next

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion