• Advertisement

Replace TOD Front Diff with Standard

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Replace TOD Front Diff with Standard

Postby Ricardo » Mon May 09, 2016 5:33 am

Hi all, wish to remove the standard front TOD diff assembly (with the vacuum hoses etc etc) and put in a standard diff with two internal axles, instead of the 2.5 (dog clutch, etc) Reason is - one less thing to go wrong. 1996 Bighorn, LSD, Lokka in front, manual hubs, automatic gearbox, 2" lift, etc. Vehicle primary use is offroad club / trip vehicle. Is this a simple swap out? What should I be looking to buy off Trademe or wreckers? Will swap Lokka diff head across or buy new one if I have to. Money not the issue, just a reasonable bullet proof front end. On that subject, are there tougher CVs out there? Any thoughts much appreciated.
Ricardo
I'm only here for the information

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 3.1TD, 1996 3.1 TD

Re: Replace TOD Front Diff with Standard

Postby geeves » Mon May 09, 2016 6:02 am

The actual diff assembly is very reliable probably more so than free wheel hubs. However tod has got its issues. Has a 96 bighorn got tod. I would of expected the same setup as my 96 wizard which is a lever to activate 4wd which operates a switch in the gearbox that activates a solinoid on the diff which activates that which switches on the light.
The switch in the gearbox on mine went faulty but while testing I fitted a switch to manually activate the diff to prove the problem but then thought about how nice it is being able to sellect 2wd low for manouvering trailers. If it had ever meant to be a permanant fix it wouldnt of been blue tacked to the dashboard 5 years later
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion