• Advertisement

Bighorns with TOD

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Bighorns with TOD

Postby mudgrip4 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:46 pm

Am about to buy another Bighorn - 3.1 this time - and mod it some for light to medium offroading/hunting. Question is how reliable is TOD in later Bighorns for this work - I'm not familiar with this model.

I am used to 2.8 bighorns with manual hubs, manual 4wd controls, and few electronics to corrode, get wet. But they are no really available any more. The 3.1 TOD model has what kind of hubs - auto which can pop out at embarassing moments? Are these replaceable with Aisins - doesn't look like it. And how reliable is this 4wd Hi TOD - I'm seeing net comment re sensor unreliability issues and I cannot afford to have a transmission ecu/ sensor system that will not take some offroading conditions - esp with Canterbury rivers. Easy enough to go with the 92-95 Bighorns which don't have TOD, but the later 96-98 3.1 TOD models often have done a few less ks.

Don't see how the TOD model will be reliable enough for what I want - appreciate some experienced thoughts on this one.
mudgrip4
Isuzu Junior

City: christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 3.1 Bighorn lwb

Re: Bighorns with TOD

Postby geeves » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:04 am

TOD or SOTF
If its still using a lever for the range select it will be SOTF This is reliable enough and easily modified to allow manual operation of the dog clutch on the left side of the diff. It does not use free wheel hubs at all
If its a push button then it could be either and there is a computer involved. As far as I know its a reliable enough system and even tod locks in if in low range
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion