• Advertisement

Code 32 ABS motor Relay

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Code 32 ABS motor Relay

Postby Anik1 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:08 pm

Can anyone help out please 96 lotus code 32
Anik1
I'm only here for the information

City: Kaikohe
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Lotus 4jg2T EFI

Re: Code 32 ABS motor Relay

Postby geeves » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:49 pm

What other symptoms?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby CptClinac » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:16 am

Hi Geeves,
Hope you are keeping well in this 'tricky' time.
Code 32. I have that one too and am working through it. Did you resolve? Mine is 96 UBS69 4jg2. I suspect I have a faulty EHCU. I see the EHCU looks like it has connector on loom rather than connector on the unit. Does this mean the manual (98-2000) is not relevant to this model? Are the codes still valid? I cannot clear codes at all - Local garage tried with all of their kit and none of them would clear the codes.
I have seen on WWW a few people have actually overhauled their EHCU (different model of course).
Thanks
Dave
CptClinac
Isuzu Baby

City: christchurch
Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn 1996 3.1 turbo diesel. But I never let her get her feet wet !!!

20 ft Pelin Caribou trailer sailer. (full masthead rig). I can't stand up in her ! 8hp Yammy longshaft outboard.

Postby geeves » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:45 am

98- 2000 is a different motor so not usefull. The original poster never got back to us so I have no idea what happened
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby buenavides1 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:06 pm

Adding more details to your inquiry will help us find the solution to the problem.
buenavides1
Isuzu Baby

City: Makati
Vehicle: 2013 Isuzu DMax

Postby CptClinac » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:45 pm

Hi Buenavides and others,
Just to clarify my issues. They are rather confusing and not directly associated with Anik1 who started this thread.
Mine is a diesel bighorn 1996, 4jg2 UBS69.
ABS lights up when car moves. Code by jumper and flashing light is #32. manual (1998-2000) interprets this as pump motor or pump relay fault (EHCU).
BUT... The manual is definitely for a different EHCU. The manual shows an EHCU with a connector on top. Mine has a loom with a cable connector.
Also "geeves' confirms the manual info is incorrect for my ABS model.
And the local mechanic put his magic box on and got 'Rear left sensor error'
And I searched the web and found a site that has #32 listed as 'front left sensor'.
I'm already bald so tearing hair out is not an option.

OK so where to from here. My thoughts are...
Fault started as intermittent and has become more regular.
1/ most likely wheel a sensor. Front left most likely. Because the ABS system does the self test. So wiring is OK, EHCU is OK, and the ABS light comes on when vehicle is moved at a little speed. Signal dropout???
2/ Why signal dropout? Recent checks indicated brake pads near end of life. Another web search shows dirty sensors as possible cause. Being that sensor works by magnets then road dirt not likely cause, would need to be iron filings. Related to brake pad wear ???
My next step is to do brake pads and clean sensors when wheels apart. But this is held up by the nasty bug.

Will update as progress is made.
Thanks for all who have added their thoughts.
Dave
CptClinac
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn 1996 3.1 turbo diesel. But I never let her get her feet wet !!!

20 ft Pelin Caribou trailer sailer. (full masthead rig). I can't stand up in her ! 8hp Yammy longshaft outboard.

Postby geeves » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:51 am

My wizard of the same year had a dirty connector that caused this. Unplug the sensor a couple of times to clean the plug
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby CptClinac » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:23 am

Thanks geeves,
Been there - done that - skinned my knuckles...
I should have listened to ALL your advice ;)
Dave
CptClinac
Isuzu Baby

Postby CptClinac » Thu May 07, 2020 3:46 pm

More info.
(bighorn 1996, 4jg2 UBS69)
Brake pads done, engineer spotted lots of gunge rear left. (Axle seal probs)
Today Greg and the guys at Ruakaka motors pulled the thing apart. Bearing OK, seal damaged. Replaced seal checked things and put it together again. No ABS light on the way home.
I'm "Cautiously optimistic"
Thanks to all who advised and to Greg and the team. :D
CptClinac
Isuzu Baby

Postby CptClinac » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:48 pm

Final fix.
(bighorn 1996, 4jg2 UBS69)
More mechanics pointing to wheel sensors. But the which wheel... They could not make up their minds. So decided to send to auto electrician. They put oscilloscope on each sensor & decided ALL sensors OK. They found pump not working well. Replaced pump/valve unit. All OK. (at last).
It appears that the computer checks basics on ign turn on and check extra things on first movement.

So... code 32 on 96 UBS69 does = motor / motor relay.

Recommend autoelectricians for tricky probs like this. Especially those with big workshops (fancy tools).
CptClinac
Isuzu Baby

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion