• Advertisement

Engine runaway

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Engine runaway

Postby johnhb » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi, has anyone suffered an engine runaway with the 4JX1 engine?
I heard a nock nock nock after putting my foot down and the engine started to run away. Stopped in a huge cloud of smoke, engine was idling as if nothing had happened. Limped home at 2000 rpm then climbing the hill, accelerated and it did it again, this time screamed away till it seized.. I thought I was in a bush fire , there was so much smoke...Anyone in Wellington interested in my truck, 158000 km, email john@titahi-bay.co.nz
------------------------------------------------------------------
John
1998 MU owner
-------------------------------------------------------------------
johnhb
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: MU

Re: Engine runaway

Postby geeves » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:47 am

If it was a manual you could of saved it by stalling but otherwise not a lot you can do. Maybe taking the intake off and blocking with something solid Ive heard of a bus doing this and the mechanic shoved a Wellington phone book over the intake and yellow confetti was sprayed all over the workshop.
Ive heard of this happening a couple of times and its due to leaky injectors allowing diesel into the sump. Your oil will be overfull and smell of diesel. This is the injector issue that is the cause of 2 or 3 recalls to replace o rings in the injectors. Best option is to buy a crashed Colorado or dmax ute and swap the engine computer etc over.
Either that or an ls1
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion