• Advertisement

Wheel bearings

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Wheel bearings

Postby Jacksauce25 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Hello everyone, am a new member so hopefully this works. I have a 1997 Isuzu Wizard, 4JG2 engine. I have a little bit of play in the front wheels and am preety sure it is bearing trouble, can these be re greased and tightened or would I have to purchase a whole new bearing kit??

Thanks in advance.
Jack
Jacksauce25
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1997 Isuzu Wizard. 4JG2

Re: Wheel bearings

Postby geeves » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Have they been in water? Are they noisy?
If no then undo the drive plate cover and remove the flange thing inside. Undo 3 screws and remove the lock washer Jack the wheel up and tighten the nut inside with a hammer and center punch in the large hole beside the screw hole. Spin then check for play etc. If they become noisy or you cant get a setting where they spin free and no play (book says it should turn with a 10kg weight on a wheel stud) you could dismantle and regrease but replacement might be the better option. If all good reassemble
To remove bearing From where you adjusted the bearing remove the brake caliper undo the wheel bearing nut With clean hands pull the hub off the spindle. This should remove the complete assembly but sometimes the seal and inner bearing remain on the splindle remove as required
The outer roller race should fall out of the hub. Check for sticky rollers rust etc regrease if reusing with a good marine grade bearing grease. This runs on a ring pressed into the hub. Clean and inspect this for any corrosion or lines suggesting the bearing has stuck. Any deterioration means replacement.
To get to the inner race get a long drift and tap the seal out first by tapping the outside edge. The race should then fall out. Inspect and regrease as above.
If the bearing is to be replaced you need to tap the 2 rings out If you run a finger around the housing you will find 2 slots These are where you tap with the drift to remove the rings. To tap new ones in just gentally tap on the edge in several places being careful not to damage the surface of the ring. Fill the roller race with grease by squishing it into the gaps with the palm of your hand. A bit of grease on the rings as well. Put the races in and fit the seal by gentally hammering into place. The grove faces inwards. Reassemble and adjust in reverse.
easy
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Jacksauce25 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:57 pm

Thankyou for all that info gona be very useful. I have taken it up the beach a few times and it does make a slight whining/groaning noise when im at speed and going round a right hand bend. So based on all that then buying new could be the best option.
Jacksauce25
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:29 am

I forgot There is a circlip on top of the drive flange inside the cover. Bearing shops are the best place to buy wheel bearing kits but BNT sell polyplex grease which would be one of the better grease options
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Jacksauce25 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:01 pm

Cool thankyou. Im heading to a bearing shop tomorrow to pick up a kit :) was there a bearing where the cv axle enters the hub aswell??
Jacksauce25
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:37 am

there is a needle roller in there but you have to do a lot more dismantalling to get to it. Its inside the hub spindle and comes out the back.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Jacksauce25 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:48 am

Ah yeh I managed to see it, the fella at the bearing shop had a look at it and said its fine, so just popped a bit more grease in there :) On another subject... Do you know the best place to pick up a inhibitor switch or the neutral safety switch I think its also known as? Went to clean mine up and its past the point of cleaning and repair! I presume just a second hand parts wreckers, or new would be good :)
Jacksauce25
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:02 pm

My local auto sparky was able to source a reconditioned one for me when I had the wizard. Not cheap though. It also controls the reverse lights and the display on the dash
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion