• Advertisement

A Couple of BigHorn problems

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

A Couple of BigHorn problems

Postby Buzzliteyear » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:00 pm

Hi, Ive been keen on a BH and had a chance to test drive one today, had my brother (a grade) for support
drove a nice 97 bighorn 4jg2 had 300+ks on the clock drove nice good power

Questions we weren’t sure of

1:the motor had a oil leak that seemed to start around the rear left hand side of the cylinder head and lightly wet the left side of the block down to the sump.

2:the transfer case had a light wet look to the bottom side (not coming from motor )

3:the temp gauge sat at half and on the motorway north bound from greville up hill the temp rose three needle widths then at the off ramp giveway jumped to 3/4
then back down to halfway apone travelling again

small rust around right rear door opening

can the head leak without being cracked ? no water in oil of oil in water

what do you think

cheers
Brett
Buzzliteyear
I'm only here for the information

City: kaukapakapa
Vehicle: Vauxhall Chevette

Re: A Couple of BigHorn problems

Postby geeves » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:23 pm

The engine oil leak is probably the breather pipe but you need to look closer just in case. If its a tiny leak I wouldnt worry too much However if its source is the had/block it could indicate issues
Tranfer case can be an issue but not often. If the oil level is ok and there are no noises or malfuncuntion it should be ok unless its a big leak. Could be expensive to fix but if its minor why bother
Rust in old cars isnt that much of a deal but these dont tend to rust. Might be due to a scratch or might have been in salt water A closer look is required
Temperature would indicate either a bad fan or bad radiator. Radiators are aroound 350 new and the fan can be fixed cheaply
If the price is right it could be a good car
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Buzzliteyear » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks Geeves, the oil on the block did not seem to be any higher than the head gasket area. and not coming from the tapper cover, that was dry. could the breather pipe split maybe
and run down behind till it gets the head area ? does the pipe come from rear of tappet cover left side ?

the block leak isn’t tiny I would say if you ran the motor for a hour trip it would start to leave drips on the floor, the guy did not park car at home so no tell tails.it could be a VTNZ fail if not clean before or fixed

can you get a heavy duty radiator ? i want to tow a light alloy boat (750kg) and want a good reserve. the radiator was full with bright green coolant but that could have be added lately and the water
pump was done same time as timing belts 30ks ago hence new coolant
Buzzliteyear
I'm only here for the information

City: kaukapakapa
Vehicle: Vauxhall Chevette

Postby geeves » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:43 pm

At the end of the day its a choice you make. It is a high mileage car of unknown maintenance. It could still be the breather but if it is the head then its head off and you should have it crack tested if you take it off. Then you may find yourself looking at an expensive repair. You cant know. VTNZ are too picky at Wof time.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion