• Advertisement

96 mu. manual 5 speed.

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

96 mu. manual 5 speed.

Postby rustyvr4 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:12 pm

hello to all an thank you in advance to any helpers.

the issue i,m having with my beast, is only when cold 1st started for the day. gearbox/transfer/4x4 system. very hard to select reverse usually have to select 3rd then reverse. once in reverse and moving the 4x4 light on dash comes on. an gearbox/transfer box sounds like it,s trying to engage 4x4. then move down the road 1st, 2nd an decelerate an again 4x4 light comes on an sounds like its trying to engage 4x4. gears mashing whiney noise. changed gearbox oil early last year only done about 30thou kms since problem still there tho. any help or ideas where to start would be great.
No officer i wasn,t slideways i think you was seeing things sir
rustyvr4
Isuzu Baby

City: tauranga
Vehicle: 1996 mu 3.1 turbo MANUAL, running 20psi. fuel maxed out. air adjustable shocks in rear. gas struts on bonnet

Re: 96 mu. manual 5 speed.

Postby geeves » Mon May 07, 2018 5:39 pm

Dont know about the 4x4 light but will ask if you have a body lift as this can cause the gear sticks to foul on the body causing issues.
The common problem with hard to select gears is to do with the oil. If you use off road you may of got water in the oil but otherwise you need to be careful what oil you use. The book says use the same oil as the engine but that is not strictly true. When the book was written the modern friction modified oils did not exist for diesels and if you put a friction modified oil in the gearbox it coats the syncros so they dont work well especially cold. The other trick is being convinced by an auto parts shop to use hypoid oil. This is even worse. The fix is change oil. 3 options that work A: engine oil same viscosity as the engine but the cheapest oil you can buy. That supermarket special of 25 liters for 6.95 is fine. B: A proper gearbox oil designed for 5 speed transmissions. C: Dexron ATF this is the most expensive and it might cause minor leaks but its still a good option
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby rustyvr4 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:41 pm

no body lift done. mainly on road use
rustyvr4
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: 1996 mu 3.1 turbo MANUAL, running 20psi. fuel maxed out. air adjustable shocks in rear. gas struts on bonnet

Postby geeves » Tue May 08, 2018 3:03 pm

Does this have proper freel wheel hubs or the box in the diff?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby rustyvr4 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:00 pm

sorry not sure i know what you mean. i have main gear stick. an beside that 4x4 stick 2h 4h 4l. underside i see, rear diff, gearbox with housing on the side with drive shaft to front diff. front wheels spin free when on jack until shaft into 4h or 4l. auto front hubs. all i know about how this system works.
rustyvr4
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue May 08, 2018 7:32 pm

The 96 wizard I had had a plain plate on each hub instead of a housing whith auto free wheel hub written on it. 4wd was controlled by a vacum operated housing on the left side of the front diff. It developed exactly the same symptoms as you describe and was fixed by reconfiguring the vaccum pipes so the assembly could be operated from a separate switch. If you have proper free wheel hubs this will not be the cause
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion