• Advertisement

Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 4JG2 Fault

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 4JG2 Fault

Postby Blueboxcat » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi there

I have a 3.1 4JG2 Turbo diesel Isuzu Bighorn that has done approximately 230,000kms. While towing my boat on the weekend and cruising at approximately 90kmph I noticed I had suddenly loss all power and could no longer accelerate. The engine was still running however the oil pressure gauge was showing zero pressure and the temperature gauge was showing hot. I immediately pulled over and waited for vehicle to cool down. When I opened the bonnet the coolant resovoir showed it had been spitting coolant out the overflow.

After vehicle had cooled down I tried to start vehicle with no success. Then had the vehicle towed home along with boat.

The fallowing day the vehicle started, however when I tried to drive it there was a huge cloud of blue smoke fallowing me.

What do you think has caused this? I noticed in months prior to this after turning the engine off there would be a noticeable whistling noise coming from turbo.

Thanks
Blueboxcat
I'm only here for the information

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: Isuzu Bighorn 3.1

Re: Isuzu Bighorn 3.1 4JG2 Fault

Postby geeves » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:32 am

turbo failure or cracked head
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Lunaflyer » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:46 pm

Ive heard a ball bearing in the oil supply to the turbo and run it at low revs can sometimes help the diagnosis, never done it myself, I would definitely not drive it or rev it up while no oil supply to turbo, if smoke stops then like geeves said maybe the turbo wants cash.
Lunaflyer
Isuzu Baby

City: chch
Vehicle: 97 mu

Postby Denman » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:10 pm

Lunaflyer wrote:Ive used pellet smokers for years now and heard a ball bearing in the oil supply to the turbo and run it at low revs can sometimes help the diagnosis, never done it myself, I would definitely not drive it or rev it up while no oil supply to turbo, if smoke stops then like geeves said maybe the turbo wants cash.

This issue doesn't happen very often, does it? Keep us posted, Blueboxcat. Might come in handy in the future to know what's behind this.
Denman
I'm only here for the information

City: Austin, TX
Vehicle: Isuzu

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion