• Advertisement

pre or post '94 Bighorn?

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

pre or post '94 Bighorn?

Postby MisterBig » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:14 am

My wife and I have owned our manual '94 Bighorn for almost 15 yrs and it has been extremely good to us. Returning from a trip on our summer holidays towing our pop top trailer the gearbox decided to give up the ghost. Fortunately there was enough left in it to get us home and truthfully we didn't notice the added noises coming home until the following day when I drove it. I used it a few times as it is quiet in 4th gear but noisy in other gears getting to 4th, and while driving it one day a clown backed into it in Bunnings car park and being as the insurance company offered me $1700 for the dent, I took the money.
I've been told by 3 Bighorn owners that '94 was the best year for Bighorns and pre '94's are more reliable than post 94's. One guy suggested the square dash models are the better models and some of those go into '95.
So, I'm looking for some feedback on this because we are going to replace Mr. Big and I'm interested to know what the general consensus is concerning models.
MisterBig
I'm only here for the information

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: '94 Isuzu Bighorn

Re: pre or post '94 Bighorn?

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:15 pm

I would of put that date at 98. Look at the chassis number under the bonnet It should start UBS69. If you wanted petrol you could look at UBS73 but the 4jx1 diesel has a few thorns attached which although it can be very reliable if certain things happen it can be expensive to fix.
UBS69 started 92 and remained unchanged to about 95/96 where it got ABS brakes and electronic control on the injector pump. These 2 items dont generally give trouble but they are extra things to think about. Off road abs isnt necessarily a good thing but if I was buying a bighorn primarily as a family/tow car i would buy the later model and have the abs and improved power and economy of the later model. The catch with the older model is the mileage which could be quite high.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion