• Advertisement

WOF woes

Discuss all things related to 4x4, Isuzu's and anything else related to getting out and about

WOF woes

Postby slightlydodgy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:49 pm

Took the ute down to the local for a wof got the bad news gearbox mount rubber is splitting and the diff has been wandering around up to an inch on the springs :shock: (how the hell did I not notice that????? :oops: ) Now i'm uteless -no not useless for a couple of days while we find a box mount locally. Hope its warm and clear when I go to get the cows at 4 tomorrow morning on the bike!!! Damn no radio or heater or roof. :lol:
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Re: WOF woes

Postby geeves » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:13 pm

Ive had the spring problem as well. Pays to check the U bolts every now and then. If the diff is moveing then you have probably broken the rivet that holds the spring pack together. Replace with a bolt and grind the head so it fits in the hole in the diff and mount plate. If these holes are oval like mine are then they should be corrected by welding or replacement but mine have been like it for a while with no issue.
I would question whether the gearbox mount is a wof issue but it should be replaced. This can cause the box to jump out of second on a downhill
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:15 am

I think on the mount that he was just being helpful and he was surprised when I told him to just fix it as normally I take it away and do it myself but Im kinda busy as it is. (This is being posted at the end of my breakfast break.) I replaced the spring pack last year and it was bolted together so he should be able to sort it pretty quick, his only worry was that he might snap the u bolts. He said that there a some jobs he will never do friday afternoon as you cant get parts out here until Tuesday (ordered Monday) and ubolts and Exhaust manifolds on older vehicles were his main ones. Good thing its only Tuesday
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:17 am

The ubolts from FJ40 landcruiser are the same although they are a little longer on the thread so need to be cut after fitting
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:12 pm

My turn now
one wheel bearing not really a surprise One trip to picapart for a second hand one if theres one there.
worn shock absorber bush lower rear. He didnt complain about the flat spot in the eye
poor handbrake (Dont understand this as it worked fine the last 4 wofs) Pads are also low so new pads and a full clean and lube of the cables and linkages
rear wheel bearing has play. I have a spare but there is play in that as well. How much is normal. The play in the spare axle appears to be between the bearing and the retaining sleeve

Do you think they are picking on us for driving old cars. (Actualy cant complain as the last 4 wofs required a total of 15 minutes work and $0 to pass)
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:17 pm

Last one (same place) was in and out and they even adjusted a wheel bearing for nothing. Wishing that I had done the repair myself though I organized for the wrecker who knows my truck (and the only Isuzu one in Taranaki )to send anything they needed and charge me but one of the mechanics knew better and wasted a day ringing around and so I won,t get my ute back until Friday at least
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby force » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:07 pm

vtnz wof i passed , dont know how had two spotlights out but im not gunna complain
force
Isuzu Baby

City: wanganui
Vehicle: isuzu bighorn

Postby dasnoboarder » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:34 am

I know of one car that passed at vtnz, when the guy came back he said - "you passed, but you should get a proper battery clamp".

Battery was held in with a tiny zip tie....
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Postby geeves » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:48 pm

It used to be at VTNZ that they could fail you for a bald tyre Then you could swap it to a different corner then as that tyre now had tread they would pass it. Auckland taxis do this all the time
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Got my truck back :mrgreen: it took him an hour to do the gearbox mount he reckoned it was a prick of a job- it didnt seem that hard when I put the box lift in (10 mins after making spacer) Still wof, shock bushes, reposition diff on springs ,fix minor exhaust leak and box mount (inc. second hand mount)only came to $217
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:57 pm

Im up to that in parts. Couldnt get a cheap second hand bearing from picapart and motex want almost the same as a new one. bearing was 114 bushes 16 brake pads 46 Ive still got a spare rear axle Hope he likes the bearing on that If not thats another 150 plus the collar which seems to be Holden only.
At least I wont be wasting a warm sunny day (last one of those on a weekend was November)
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:16 pm

Since I got the truck back it shudders on moving off from standstill in high ratio and sounds like something is hitting the rear (right?) but cant see anything - any thoughts anyone??? Thanks
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:52 pm

If it wasnt doing it before you should speak to the garage about it. My guess would be the gearbox has moved relitive to the exhaust or the fact the the driveshaft has been moved has caused an unrelated u joint failure.
Another possibility would be loose u bolts on the springs or bad shackle bushes but both of these should of been picked up in the Wof
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:31 pm

Got under and had another look today U joint al ok I could swear that the transfer case is sitting lower than it did befor I took it in. And yes they did put my spacer back in. are all the gearbox mounts the same thickness?
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby force » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:53 pm

could also be a universal crapping out or if you have a split driveshaft, it could be the rubber bush in the middle. If you feel vibration when slowing down it could be universals. Ive only ever had to change one once but it had a similar shuddering
force
Isuzu Baby

City: wanganui
Vehicle: isuzu bighorn

Postby slightlydodgy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:59 pm

Only moving of in high ratio. decceleration all good and so is the driveshaft
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:16 pm

center bearing if it has a 2 piece driveshaft. When mine let go it was undrivable below 20kph but ok above that. It was a fun trip from Stratford to Wellington especially as it was the end of a long weekend with a 5 km traffic jam at Otaki
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:18 pm

Ill check that, thanks. That Otaki traffic jam is no good in any vehicle and it just appears with no warning one minute you're humming along then you're standing on the brakes with what seems like the rest of the country. Forgot another symtom, somethings hitting under neath when the engine first fires- good after that
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:30 pm

loose exhaust, engine mount???
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:48 pm

ive been wondering about the engine mount but i can't move it and my gearlevers dont jump around. Something hasnt been put back where it should
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Return to General Isuzu and 4x4 discussion