• Advertisement

Valve in exhaust

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Valve in exhaust

Postby PETERDIESEL » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:41 pm

What is the valve type apparatus about midway in my exhaust system. It appears to be vacuum operated. Could this be stuck and cause loss of power? How can I test it if I need to. I was thinking it may be a spark arrester which closes when engine is turned off????
PETERDIESEL
Isuzu Baby

City: PT LINCOLN
Vehicle: JACKAROO

Re: Valve in exhaust

Postby geeves » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:03 pm

Its part of the cold start settup. If you nearly never get sub zero temperatures you can get rid of it. It improves engine warm up times in very cold weather if you use the cold start switch (has a pic of an engine and heater)
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby turnturn » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:45 pm

As per Geeves description above. I'd suggest to just remove it. When they play up your engine is down on power, doesn't rev properly and blows more black smoke.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby gomulletgo » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:37 pm

Sooo, This discussion about the Quick Warm Up System (QWS) (Sorry for thread jack)

I have a UBS55 that I'm trying to get sorted to get back on the road, a while back we put another turbo on it, connected up all the exhaust system etc. Just today I had a look and it's got this QWS butterfly valve in the exhaust....but it's not connected to anything. Normally it would be connected to a black canister on the passenger side of the block.

As the QWS butterfly valve in the exhaust is not connected to anything I have no idea if it's currently open or closed and blocking exhaust flow. Ideally I would wire it fully open, can anyone school me up on which way is fully open?

Thanks in advance :)
gomulletgo
Isuzu Senior

City: CHCH
Vehicle: 89 bighorn 2.8ITD Manual LWB,
93 bighorn 3.1ITD Manual LWB.

Postby geeves » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:33 am

try fixing it in both positions. One way will result in low power etc and will be obvious its the wrong way
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engines and Exhaust