• Advertisement

4JB1-T EGT question

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Re: 4JB1-T EGT question

Postby SamMu93 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:38 pm

MrRevhead wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzX-1kf0ERI

S&@t!! ... What was the screw I adjusted then..... Thanks chaps.. Hope I didnt damage anything
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 93 Isuzu Mu 2.8 TD
Rodeo 3" dump pipe off turbo
2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed
Rear: 2" lifted leaf springs
Front: Wound torsion bars, dropped front diff, flipped ball joints, cut upper bump stop

Postby MrRevhead » Wed May 27, 2015 4:44 pm

Throttle stop maybe? I dunno too cold and dark outside to go look at mine :P
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby SamMu93 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:49 pm

MrRevhead wrote:Throttle stop maybe? I dunno too cold and dark outside to go look at mine :P

Oh i see, bang on Mr revhead- did notice it wouldnt rev as high on the way home... Didnt think much of it
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed
Front: Wound torsion bars, dropped front diff, flipped ball joints, cut upper bump stop

Postby SamMu93 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:44 pm

Tried out 1/4 turn on the fuel screw at 10psi - no black smoke, results are good.
Just got home and adjusted the screw to 1/2 a turn at 10psi, would be happy with this.
Tried out 15psi at 3/4 turn on the fuel screw- this is impressive, I will run it like this for a month or so giving it a good test.
No black smoke from what I could see.
Mainly this will be a test to check for any weak spots in my modifications.
I am very happy with it now.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby SamMu93 » Sun May 31, 2015 4:38 pm

I've been testing different boost and fuel levels and noticed that at 15psi with 1full turn of the fuel screw the egt is 310dg at 100kmh cruising and less than 400dg foot flat up a hill.
This looks ok ( cool compared to The temps you are getting Mr Revhead!) but there is a small puff of black smoke if you give it a stab up to 3000rpm.
If this small amount of unburnt fuel is not causing high temperatures should I be concerned?
Also it seems from this point on the idle will get higher and I won't be able to lower it- the idler screw is already set as low as it can be and it idles at 700rpm now...
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby MrRevhead » Sun May 31, 2015 4:56 pm

I'd be really keen to see some one run a sensor before and after the turbo to see what the difference is.
Did you have temps from when it was stock? Comparing stock to tweaked will be useful as well.

but there is a small puff of black smoke if you give it a stab up to 3000rpm

Is this in neutral? It's when smoking under load you worry
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby isuzurob » Sun May 31, 2015 5:00 pm

as i said all my trucks run 1 1/2 to 2 turns on the fuel screw, hottest i ever saw mine was 780 degrees C mine was running 12psi, my rodeo is running standard boost with the fuel screw wound 1 1/4 and is fine also, all depends on the gauge you are using also, ive only used autometer gauges, mate have used cheap gauges in there trucks with same mods and reading are way different, the idle stop is at the front of the injector pump inder the intake pipe from the air cleaner
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby SamMu93 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:15 pm

MrRevhead wrote:I'd be really keen to see some one run a sensor before and after the turbo to see what the difference is.
Did you have temps from when it was stock? Comparing stock to tweaked will be useful as well.

but there is a small puff of black smoke if you give it a stab up to 3000rpm

Is this in neutral? It's when smoking under load you worry

I could not see any visible smoke while I was driving and flooring it, but yes it was in neutral when I saw the puff of smoke.
I was under the idea that the boost will bring the temps down and the fuel would increase it- so if it was hot at 12psi and 1.5turns then it should be cooler at 15psi / 1.5turns of the fuel screw.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby SamMu93 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:20 pm

isuzurob wrote:as i said all my trucks run 1 1/2 to 2 turns on the fuel screw, hottest i ever saw mine was 780 degrees C mine was running 12psi, my rodeo is running standard boost with the fuel screw wound 1 1/4 and is fine also, all depends on the gauge you are using also, ive only used autometer gauges, mate have used cheap gauges in there trucks with same mods and reading are way different, the idle stop is at the front of the injector pump inder the intake pipe from the air cleaner

Here's my setup- cheapest egt you will find...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2M-EGT-K-Type-T ... 3cee5649f0

And

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-DC-Temp ... b4&vxp=mtr

And yeah that's the idler screw I was adjusting.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby SamMu93 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:27 pm

Have not seen it much higher than this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby isuzurob » Sun May 31, 2015 6:41 pm

Yes that is cheap i payed 380 for my egt, mates payed around 100 for theres and probes melted off, 370 is low if you wind the fuel up to around 600 at w.o.t on 12psi it will go well and last forever if the gauge is correct and you have your probe pre turbo now
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby SamMu93 » Sun May 31, 2015 7:00 pm

isuzurob wrote:Yes that is cheap i payed 380 for my egt, mates payed around 100 for theres and probes melted off, 370 is low if you wind the fuel up to around 600 at w.o.t on 12psi it will go well and last forever if the gauge is correct and you have your probe pre turbo now

Lower boost with higher w.o.t temps is better than higher boost with lower temps? Is that what your saying?
Also yes I have probe mounted in the manifold now - egr blank plate.
SamMu93
Isuzu Junior

2.5" Exhaust to tip
Bighorn intercooler
Tweaked fuel pump
Boost tap (15psi)
Egt monitor installed

Postby isuzurob » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:45 am

well mine ran at 700 everyday on 12psi for 8 years till i sold it, so yours on 12psi and less fuel should last forever, every engine is different, lower the temps the better, but higher the temp the more power you have
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Engines and Exhaust