• Advertisement

Water-Air Intercooling with Air Con Assist

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Water-Air Intercooling with Air Con Assist

Postby Downhillnz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:00 pm

[Crazy ish idea below]

The below is irrespective of motor, chassis and anything else, focus on the intercooling part.
I am aiming to set up the next tow rig with an intercooler. I have limited space around the front so air/air is out. Same applies to a heat exchanger in the front.

I am going to set up a 5-10l tank in the engine to be used as a reservoir (more on this) with a pump to fire the water around the system. Being a Subaru IC and having the rad cap at the top I see potential issues with bleeding.
Back to the reservoir, I have air con, so instead of making it cool the cabin, I want to set it up with a core in the reservoir so there is means to cool the water down. Ideally I need to work around what size I want for the tank.
Along side this, a thermo switch that sits in the reservoir to control the aircon pump, so its not going all the time and sucking grunt.

The plumbing side I will do and the gassy job I have a fella I know locally for.

Has anyone done something similar? Any flaws with the above?
Downhillnz
Isuzu Junior

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8TD
1997 Toyota Corolla 1.5TD

Re: Water-Air Intercooling with Air Con Assist

Postby isuzurob » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:47 pm

Just throw the a/c condenser away and fit w2a radiator in there, also throw a/c pump away and fit a bigger turbo for towing power, as you said a/c sucks the power and it will be running when you want the power
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby Downhillnz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:13 pm

isuzurob wrote:Just throw the a/c condenser away and fit w2a radiator in there, also throw a/c pump away and fit a bigger turbo for towing power, as you said a/c sucks the power and it will be running when you want the power

I would but the space where the plumbing would go just isn't there. The AC plumbing is ugly but usable but i wouldn't run water around there.
Cons outweighing the gains I know.
Downhillnz
Isuzu Junior

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8TD
1997 Toyota Corolla 1.5TD

Postby Earwig » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:51 pm

A couple of bigger fittings could be welded to the ac condenser In place of the silly little pipes there currently of course if you want to have working ac it's a bad plan.
Earwig
Isuzu Baby

City: Kerikeri
Vehicle: 98 wizard

Return to Engines and Exhaust