• Advertisement

DIY boost controller /boost gauge

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Re: DIY boost controller /boost gauge

Postby wbski007 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:43 pm

I've turned up my pump and pushed the boost up to 14LBS and my exhaust temp has been fine, even when pulling hills with my caravan and my foot rite in it, the exhaust temp hasn't even got close to red line, so you should be OK Steve, you should have the boost gauge by now?? OH and buy the way, I've seen used ETG's on ebay under used exaust for as low as $20.00
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby steveNZ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:40 am

Thanks Wayne
Post is allways a little slow here being at the back end of the world so it should show up some time this week, i remember waiting 2 weeks once for a letter from UK sent by air mail think it all goes via the north island first,
Got truck set up and ready to go, have fitting in place for gauge line so just a matter of mounting it in cab and running pipe :)
Thanks again Wayne

regards

Steve
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

City: Bluff
Vehicle: Bighorn lwb 1988 4jb1-t 5 speed manual

Postby steveNZ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:21 am

catch can 064 (Small).jpg

catch can 066 (Small).jpg

All ready to go :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby Caboolture » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:05 pm

Hello what did you do with the vacumm line that ran to the cold start choke between turbo and manifold? Did you block it off or just left it and howdo you tweek'd the fuel pump. Cheers Peter
Caboolture
Isuzu Junior

City: caboolture
Vehicle: 90 mu

Postby steveNZ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi Peter
you don't need to do anything with the cold start pipe it dose nothing unless you have the switch turned on in cab and i think it has to be under a certain temp for it to work
Turning up the fuel pump is not to bad i tried to make you a pic but its not to clear its a screw normally under a metal cover on the back of the fuel pump under the solenoid which is in the top 2 fuel lines you screw it in to turn up the pressure.
catch can 074 (Small).jpg

Be careful not to turn it up to much most people myself included only go quarter to half a turn depending on how much smoke the engine produces.
if you have a good look round forum you will find other pics of it and more info on doing it.

Hope this helps

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby steveNZ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:50 pm

Forgot to say peter the screw has a 13mm locking nut on it

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby Caboolture » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:47 pm

Thanks for that i'll have aplay tomorrow Cheers Peter
Caboolture
Isuzu Junior

City: caboolture
Vehicle: 90 mu

Postby steveNZ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:09 pm

Great postman brought me a present today thanks Wayne boost gauge had arrived :D :D
Perfect timing as id run out of things to do to truck well down here on the coast

catch can 101 (Small).jpg

Having a good look at the truck i realized there's not rely much space on first generation Bighorn dash, Didn't want to mount it under the dash as i would not be able to see it properly and hit it with my leg most of the time.
Thought id make a box for it to go on of top of the dash in corner by the edge of the windscreen had a bit of steel plate floating around, made a hole for gauge and set to it with the tin snips and started bending :lol: what a disaster has to be one of the worst thing ive ever tried to make wouldn't have put it in truck if you had payed me :oops:
Here's a pic just for the record

catch can 111 (Small).jpg

Scratched my head for a bit, noticed i still has offcuts of the stainless steel pipe i used to extend the catch can found a couple of crank or cam oil seals lying around form a old Subaru head gasket set, they fitted perfectly over the ends of the pipe and the gauge fitted perfectly inside one of the seals with a strip of copper as a shim round the outside, figured i was onto something ;)

catch can 114 (Small).jpg

Ran the pipe through bulkhead and plumbed it into manifold

catch can 128 (Small).jpg

Set to the cab small bracket and sorted :D

catch can 130 (Small).jpg
catch can 137 (Small).jpg

Who needs a fiberglass gauge pod 8-)

DIY boost controller working great running 14psi of boost now :D

EGT next

Steve
Last edited by steveNZ on Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby slightlydodgy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:17 pm

Nice job of mounting great bit of kiwi inguenuity
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:34 pm

That makes my pod screwed to the allen key holding the dash in seem a bit crude
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:04 pm

slightlydodgy wrote:Nice job of mounting great bit of kiwi inguenuity

Hate to say im not quite a kiwi yet still officially pom added the NZ to my name here because im living here didn't quite realize how many Kiwi's were in club
am working on the kiwi bit :lol: takes time and money

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby Captcol » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:13 pm

and lots of beer, sorry to say but you just have to work your way through it
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby steveNZ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:23 pm

Think i qualify on the beer thing got the thirst of a camel

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:15 pm

As long as its not warm beer your ok.
A small history lesson about this group.
Clubisuzu was founded about 12 years ago in Wellington by Andrew Humphreys. Initialy it was NZ only but a couple of Aussies asked to join so it became Australasian then a few other people signed up and now we either have or have had members in every corner of the world. Andrew passed away February last year but had not been active in the group for a few years with Francessco in Aus pretty much running the ships engine these days and the faq team steering it in the right direction and myself filling in the potholes as we go
Its not surprising there are a lot of kiwis here.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:25 pm

It's a quality club Alan and it's a pleasure to be here and part of it :D

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby chrisfnq » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:52 pm

Quick question wayne at christmas do all the members get one???? looks like a good gauge.. nice tidy install
chrisfnq
Isuzu Junior

City: cairns
Vehicle: '91 2.8 td mu (deceased)
94 jackaroo lifted 50mm suspension, long range tank, bull bar, new turbo

Postby wbski007 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:16 pm

Great install and what a great job making the case for it steve, looks like factory, you make me proud SON and no chrisfng, steve caught me at a weak momet, I'm really an old scrooge. HA HA
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby wbski007 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:26 pm

Just want to say your a quality guy Alan and your doing a great job for a great club, keep up the good work, I concider myself very lucky to be a member of such a fine club with the best members, I think of you all as my other family, your friend from across the pond, Wayne :D :D :D :D
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Postby steveNZ » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:39 am

Funnest thing is rest of my dashboard and cab is all worn out now the boost gauge put's the rest to shame :lol:

One more thing im noticing a bit of condensation on these cold damp days inside the glass when engine has been running for a bit, is it worth drilling a small hole in the bottom of the glass ?

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby steveNZ » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:16 am

wbski007 wrote:Great install and what a great job making the case for it steve, looks like factory, you make me proud SON and no chrisfng, steve caught me at a weak momet, I'm really an old scrooge. HA HA

I only ever wanted to make you proud DAD ;)

Steve

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Engines and Exhaust