• Advertisement

Changing thermostat temperature

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Changing thermostat temperature

Postby geeves » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Ive been thinking
The trusty old bighorn smokes at idle like they all do but when idleing after running hard it doesnt start smoking till its cooled a bit.
How would changing the thermostat to one set say 5C higher affect this and are there any traps
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: Changing thermostat temperature

Postby wbski007 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:28 pm

There aren't any traps that I know of in getting a hotter thermostat, I've changed plenty of stats over the years to higher temps and had no problems, here in the states 190 degree thermostat is the highest they sell, what that is in cel, I have no idea, I've used them to get more heat during winter up north, as long as your cooling system is up to par you can go to the highest thermostat they sell over there, will this stop the smoke, your guess is as good as mine, sounds feisable tho, when does it start smoking say in line at a drive thru fast food?? maybe its not oil but too much fuel?? if its fuel, changing the thermosat won't help as you alreay know. I've owned big diesels and I used to let them idle all night to keep the fuel from gelling overnite and to stay warm while sleeping in the bunk, after ideling awhile they would all start smoking but I really never gave it much thought if it was oil or fuel as most trucks back then did it, it was more or less common place to pull in to a truck stop and see maybe 30 trucks ideling with smoke pouring out of their stacks, hey give it a try Alan you got nothing to loose.
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby geeves » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:57 am

definatly nt oil. The oil never needs topping up right out to the 5000km change
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Sounds like its worth a try Alan as like your bighorn mine only seems to smoke at a colder idle, nothing on a hot idle
Will be vary interested to here if this helps the problem
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

City: Bluff
Vehicle: Bighorn lwb 1988 4jb1-t 5 speed manual

Postby wbski007 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:26 pm

seems it is fuel then, now the more I think of it the colder it was out the more smoke there seamed to be coming out the exhaust, so it does seem to be a temperature thing, after letting my truck idel all night in the winter the temp gauge would be on 0 and the old smoke would be pouring out the stack but as soon as you got going and up to temp it would stop, during the summer you could let them idle all night for the a/c and not get half the smoke as in winter
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby Blondini » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:34 am

Maybe with the colder air and the motor running colder its just not burnning all the fuel witch makes it smoke.

190F is 87.7C
Blondini
Isuzu Senior

City: Papamoa Tauranga
Vehicle: 93 ISUZU BIGHORN 3.1 TDI 5 DOOR
POD FILTER, 2 1/2" EXHAUST AND FREE FLOW MUFFLER
HOME MADE 3" SNORKEL AND HANKOOK RT03 265/75/16 (32") MUD TYRES.

Postby 4x4fun » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:41 pm

Sounds like injectors, coaking or insufficient injection pressure can cause smoking at idle
4x4fun
Isuzu Baby

City: Hastings
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 1992 2.8l auto

Postby geeves » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:52 pm

True but its got no worse in the 120000km Ive done in the wagon. Also the 4jb1 is known to smoke at idle. 8 out of 10 do
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engines and Exhaust