• Advertisement

Excessive Oil Through Breather

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Re: Excessive Oil Through Breather

Postby wbski007 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:02 pm

I bought one on ebay scruff thinking it was alot bigger than it actully was, why they make so small is beyound me, for go-carts I guess
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby scruff123 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:15 am

high performance petrol engines, dont have ollot of blow by, 5-10cfm or less. so catch cans dont need to be very large.
different with our fumy diesels tho lol
scruff123
Isuzu Guru

City: Kerikeri
Vehicle: 93 standard bighorn 3.1 diesel, mitsubishi pajero 3ltr v6 swb on 36's

Postby geeves » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:04 pm

catch cans on race cars have to be a certain size (1 litre I think) by regulation. Also they vent to air not the intake
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:18 pm

Went for a bit of a spin today got engine up to 4000rpm up some small hills, first run a huge amount of black smoke :lol: :lol: :lol: after 3 or 4 good thrashings it cleaned up real nice, Guess because there was so much oil getting in before she had carbonized up pretty bad, Now there's no oil as catch is working properly its had a bit of a chance to burn some out, Running much cleaner now.
Long run at weekend will be the final test, looking good so far ;)

Steve
Last edited by steveNZ on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

City: Bluff
Vehicle: Bighorn lwb 1988 4jb1-t 5 speed manual

Postby geeves » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:58 pm

remember Ive seen your little hills. It was snowing at the second pic when I was there mid summer
nevis_ski.JPG
nevissaddle.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:14 pm

That's my back garden Alan i live just off the track at the bottom of the Nevis rd 500mt before the farm and first gate had so much fun over last 3 years playing around there, Been stuck in a snow drift or 2 :lol:
There is some pretty good tracks once you get to know it a bit, cant get up past the ski hut in your first pic at the moment far to much snow up there still.
Glad to see you have been up there :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby steveNZ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:54 pm

Not the winter we have just been through but year before there was a fairly new truck not sure what make now got stuck at start of winter up there in a snow drift, local farmer Ian went up with his tractor 3 times to try get it out but couldn't truck had to stay there 3 months till the snow melted :oops:

Best to know when you can and cant get through there :lol:

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:44 pm

anyone useing the hut for skiing? No mod cons though or lifts and the walk to the top would mean not many runs in a day
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:53 pm

lol its a historic ski hut and is still used in winter by the guys that use snowmobiles think they got a big snow cat up there in winter as well they take out party's to ski the more inaccessible places and they work with the heliski company who drop skiers off from air
it was restored in the early 90s i think, but to many dead heads get up there in the summer and trash it sucks rely

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:43 pm

yes its a bit grim inside with all the writing on the walls but over in the valley there is another hut about half a k from the main track that could only be described as disgusting
As you can see from my pic the brother in laws company car made the trip through ok although we did walk some of the fords first. I didnt have my bighorn down there only the toyota car
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:01 pm

The river crossings arn't to bad most of the time its only doggy if there's been a lot of rain or a big melt of snow then they are unpassable at times think there's 14 crossings all together
there are 2 huts that are quite good one privately owned, and the other from DOC old woman hut its a bit more of the main track 8km ish but much nicer and good for staying in there is a track from there takes you over the old woman range then old man range and rocky s then back down at frutlands south of alexzandra or down to piano flats you need 3 trucks for that one rely and only in the summer
If you are ever heading down this way again bring the bighorn we will go out and have some fun

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby steveNZ » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:06 pm

Did the long run today 150km only tiny traces of oil in air system looked like it was just the reminats from the oil that was there before :D :D :D
So it looks like the catch can was at fault, morrel of the thread if ya gonna make or bye a catch can make sure its a good one.
Gives me great satisfaction to know ive got to the bottom of this, piston rings might be a bit tierd but rebild is a long way off.

Thanks for all the input, Much more happy now :D

Steve

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby steveNZ » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:14 pm

Looking like ive been banning my head against a brick wall
Did the drive back last night even with the improved catch can had the same thing oil in air system so my last post was a bit premature
Rings have to be no good as i think ive explored all other options
bit over it now

Steve

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby daisy » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:50 pm

I got my catch can set up so it doesnt vent back into the air intake system because like the above posts the can was a bad design! Oil was splashing and filling the filter in about a month. Both the in and out pipes are at the same height and next to each other! So fix that with a bit of pipe half way down the inside and half filled with stainless wool, but im still venting into engine bay.

P1040134.JPG

I have to manually drain my catch can into a jar and have noticed water/moisture caused by condensation in the drained oil. Not good if you're draining back into sump....maybe not a big problem but I just noticed it today.
daisy
Isuzu Senior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: '94 Isuzu Mu 3.1 auto

Postby steveNZ » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks daisy
I think if you are draining straight back to sump the small amount of condensation should be ok as it should just get vented back out through breather as vaper when engine is warm
I noticed today only after 15 km of driving id already got 3 or 4 teaspoons of oil kicked up from the rocker into catch and the problem seem s to have got worse since ive boosted the turbo and tweaked the fuel pump witch is pointing to it being the rings as well
The way my catch is set up now there must have been at least 500ml of oil in the catch for it to have blown through to the air system the way it did, it was only a 150km journey
That's a lot of oil in a short amount of time, so i think i am going to have to bite the bullet on this one and do the rings at some point soon

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby wbski007 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:33 am

Nice looking catch can Daisy, I think your on the rigth track with not letting the oil to drain back into the crankcase, I had mine draining back into the crankcase and it was doing fine around town and short trips, no problems untill I left this past sunday to go visit my daughter in NO. Carolina a good 8 hundred miles away, went about 2 hundred miles at 70MPH and stopped for some eats and checked my oil, to my suprise none showed on the dip stick, WOW, catch can however was more than half full and oil was dripping from all my intake and intercooler hose's, I had a one way check valve to stop any oil from the pan being sucked up into the catch can but that obviously didn't stop it, so I plugged the return line going to the crankcase and finished the rest of the trip with no further problems, after going the remaining 6 hundred miles I only had about two teaspoons of oil in the bottom of the catch can and no more oil dripping from my hose's, of course after adding 3 QTS of oil, thats what it used in just the first 2 hundred miles, I left early Sunday morning before light and I sure I must have been leaving quite a smoke screen to use that much oil but it was dark and know one on the road that early so I couldn't see any. So now its no more returning the oil to the pan for me, something for all of you to think about, mine was fine around town but on a long hard trip it ended up sucking that oil right out of the pan, some how thu that check valve, scarey.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby steveNZ » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:25 pm

Interesting Wayne
That thought had crossed my mind was thinking of getting down the local hydrolic shop to see if i could get 12volt valve that would be closed when powered up and open when when power was off and simply wiring it to the fuel cut of valve that way there could be no room for error regarding the one way valve
Defiantly food for thought

Steve

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby turnturn » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:36 pm

I like your idea of the solenoid check valve instead of the one-way check valves as mentioned in earlier/other posts Steve. Keep us informed.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby wbski007 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:35 pm

yes, keep us informed Steve, the 12V shut off solenoid sounds like a good idea, I'm trying to think of what kind of shut off will work???? I love challanges like this, all of us putting our heads together to solve the problem, we need a solenoid that will shut off the return line when you start up and open it back up when the motor is shut off to let the oil that collected in the catch can to drain back.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

Postby steveNZ » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:53 pm

Ok i got a idea gonna post new thread on it ;)

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

PreviousNext

Return to Engines and Exhaust