• Advertisement

Solenoid for catch can drain

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Solenoid for catch can drain

Postby steveNZ » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:56 pm

After some discussion on the one way ball bearing valve for catch can drain is seems that it might fail some times especially on long journeys allowing oil from the sump to well back up into catch can
Had a little look into electric valves but couldn't find anything suitable, so moved my train of thought to the vacuum system :geek:

Had the vacuum solenoid from the cold start system lying around and ball valve (valve that only needs to turn 90° from closed to open)

catch can 144 (Small).jpg

Figured i could get the two together and run off the vac system

catch can 145 (Small).jpg

Did a trial with it on vac line worked great valve open with no vac and valve closed with vac :)
Plumbed it back into truck, started truck valve closed sweet turned truck off valve stayed closed, humm system still had a vacuum in it
Scratched head a bit more then realized the 12 volt solenoid that controlled the cold start system was what i needed as it would let air back into vac line to solenoid after power off

catch can 164 (Small).jpg

Wired solenoid into fuel cut of valve circuit
Sorted after engine stop vac is released from line to catch by by 12 volt solenoid :)

catch can 166 (Small).jpg

Valve closes completely when engine is started and opens when engine stops :D

Should stop any unwanted oil from sump getting back up into catch and let oil from catch drain back into sump much quicker as it doesn't have to squeeze past a ball bearing
You gotta love this life

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by steveNZ on Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

City: Bluff
Vehicle: Bighorn lwb 1988 4jb1-t 5 speed manual

Re: Solenoid for catch can drain

Postby Captcol » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:08 pm

Looks like a cunning plan, don't quite follow it at the moment, but will look at it again tomorrow after some sleep
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby steveNZ » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:26 pm

Thought id better explain the 12volt solenoid a bit better
vac (Small).JPG

when you put 12 volts on the solenoid it allows vac to pas through it then when powered down it allows air back into outlet line only so not causing the vacuum in the inlet to be afected
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby wbski007 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:06 am

Great going Steve, what a guy, and I thought I was pretty good at rigging things, I think you just beat me, I'm on the road right now camping with my daughter and grandson, as soon as I get back home I'm going to look into what you did and make one up for myself, it looks great. I think I have those cold start solenoids on mine, I have to check when I get back, right now I'm with my daughter in her motor home.
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby steveNZ » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:39 am

Have a good trip Wayne
If you need a 12volt solenoid ive got spares on old truck i can post one over if you want

Steve

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby steveNZ » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:05 pm

Made a more substantial bracket for valve today, The system is working perfectly and this stage i am totally happy with it.

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Return to Engines and Exhaust