• Advertisement

Rebuilt 4J - oil pressure for first start up??

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Rebuilt 4J - oil pressure for first start up??

Postby BrokenMu » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:09 am

For those of you that don't know, I'm in the process of re-installing my rebuilt 4JB1T and I have been informed by the engine rebuilder that I will need to pump at least 3 liters of pressurized oil through the motor before I start it up for the first time.

Does this sound correct? If so, how the heck do I go about doing this?

Cheers for any help provided.

Regards
Michael
BrokenMu
Isuzu Junior

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 1991 Isuzu MU - 2.8TDI

Re: Rebuilt 4J - oil pressure for first start up??

Postby geeves » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:23 pm

Never heard that one before but it has merit.
He should of used some sort of prelube on the bearings but the other issue is priming the pump. He might be doing this to cover himself but I would have to ask him how to do it.
Chevy rebuild manuals want you to pack the oil pump with a special grease to prime them.
One option would be remove the glow plugs and fuel cut off wire. Then spin the engine on the starter till pressure comes up. Reassemble and drive
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby BrokenMu » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Thanks geeves.

He did say it was to prime the oil pump and that it had to be pressurized into the engine via the oil pressure switch. The only thing I could think of to use was those little oiling cans that have the hose with the threaded nozzle at the end - providing it is the same thread as the pressure switch. pumping 3ltrs in with one could take a while though...

My mechanic that I used to go to for all of my petrol cars said to just put 3ltrs of oil in, let it settle for a few minutes then add the last 2ltrs and crank it over as soon as the last drop is in.

Where would I find the fuel cut off wire?
BrokenMu
Isuzu Junior

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: 1991 Isuzu MU - 2.8TDI

Postby wbski007 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:23 pm

I've rebuilt plenty of motors and always oiled everything well while assembly, then filled motor with proper amount of oil and spun it over with starter with plugs out and ing wire off untill I got a reading on the oil guage, then your good to go. I'm sure if it was rebuilt professionally that they used a prelube like Geeves said. what they mean by pressurized oil is just that, making sure you have good oil pressure before starting the motor
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Return to Engines and Exhaust