• Advertisement

EGT install to 4JX1

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

EGT install to 4JX1

Postby PureZoo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:26 am

Hey All

Doing a Boost & EGT gauge install on the old girl and thought it was an idea to ask the people in the know, a couple of questions. :?

1 Can anyone enlighten me if there is a tried and true way (read easy way) to install an EGT probe into the 4JX1 exhaust manifold on a Wizard?
Mr Isuzu didn't put an extra bolt or threaded plug on this little casting somewhere did he, that someone has discovered and that I could tap into? :lol:
2 There is also an opportunity to purchase a complete 4JX1 intercooler setup off a factory Bighorn, to retrofit into the 4JX1 non intercooled Wizard, and combine this with a Hood scoop setup for under $500 in bits
& paint. :D
Has anyone done this with a factory top mount to a 4JX1 Wizard/Frontera/Jackroo (or what ever they call them in your part of the World - LOL) and are there any pitfalls?
I know a front mount would be more efficient, but a lot more custom fabrication/time/cost. And I like the idea of it looking factory-ish as the setup has the factory surround with Logo's etc!
Any help appreciated.

Next stop, :idea: a little boost increase perhaps?
Cheers in advance - Grant
PureZoo
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Wizard 3.0 TDI

Re: EGT install to 4JX1

Postby Captcol » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:14 am

Although mine is a different motor in my 96 wizard I am using the port in the manifold left open by the removal of the egr system, drill hole in blanking plate, tap for probe ... sorted. Just have to shoot to repco and buy one first. I am looking at doing the same with the intercooler but mine is going to be abit more of a mission.
Last edited by Captcol on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby PureZoo » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:46 am

Hey Captcol, cheers for that.
Not sure if I should do that on the 4JX1 (being a scaredy cat), as I have read elsewhere that the ECU is very smart (hard to trick and has heaps of sensors to make it work).
Does this apply to the ERG system as well? Has anyone done this to a 4JX1? or Does anyone know of a good Isuzu mechanic out in West Auckland? (Plan B - LOL)
Ta Grant
PureZoo
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:55 am

It wouldnt suprise me if there is already an egt in the exhaust somewhere. That engine measures everything else.
Fitting an intercooler shouldnt be a problem but be very mindfull of all the wires and make sure they have an apropiate home afterwards. Other than that my thoughts on that engine is dont moddify unless you realy know what you are doing. Its got more brains than most universities and will fight back
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby PureZoo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:31 am

Hey Geeves, appreciate the info so far, it would be magic if there was already an EGT probe, as we could possibly tap into the signal, does anyone know where it might be? Cant see much with all the turbo heat shields etc. Any help much appreciated.
TaG
PureZoo
Isuzu Baby

Postby PureZoo » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:19 am

Anyone? TaG
PureZoo
Isuzu Baby