• Advertisement

Diesel pump

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Diesel pump

Postby Mudhorn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:52 pm

I'm trying to get a bit more power out of my 4jb1 diesel 2.8 intercooled turbo. I'm getting plenty of boost at 2000- 3000 rpm (15psi with controller). I'm thinking that more fuel might help the boost come in earlier - 1500 rpm would be nice. The boost starts to drop slightly above 3000 rpm. Already have good air filter & 2.5 in exhaust.
I've turned the fuel adjustment screw, but it makes no difference, I've gone up to 2 whole turns. I get no black smoke ever. My egt never rises above 500 deg C, but there are no hills in Rolleston!
I was playing with the boost compensator earlier- set the idle to 1500 & depressed the diaphragm & piston that it's attached to, nothing happended, should the revs increase as the compensator adds more fuel?
The fuel filter is near new. Or could it be the injectors.
My fuel economy is very good, 11km/litre but would like more power.
Any other ideas on how I can get more fuel through? Or info about the fuel pump & compensator testing/diagnosis would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Mudhorn
Isuzu Baby

City: Rolleston
Vehicle: 91 LWB Bighorn 2.8TD

Re: Diesel pump

Postby geeves » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:00 pm

The compensator does allow more fuel at boost but it requires a high throttle setting before it delivers. Its job is not to flood the engine at times of low boost more than force more fuel just because the engine can take it. If it allowed more fuel then as boost increased with revs going down a steep hill on no throttle guess what would happen. (there is a time limit on this answer and as boost and fuel go up the time gets shorter)
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Mudhorn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:46 pm

That explains why my test didn't work. Going down steep hills would be an experience as the engine runs away!
Do you think I have a fuel delivery problem with low egt & no black smoke?
Mudhorn
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:48 pm

What does it perform like?
Everyone wants more power and more fuel is the way to get it but if it goes ok why bother. If it keeps up with regular traffic and overtakes some then it must be ok
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Mudhorn » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:55 am

On the road it's fine, off road it's nice to have a bit more grunt at lower revs.
Mudhorn
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:22 am

My 2.8 loves to rev but is not happy down low either. My boost doesnt drop till its touching 4k and the rev limiter isnt far past that. Dont expect this motor to lug like other diesels Drive it like a worked petrol car and you will love it.Sound nice untill the rev limiter is hit to
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Mudhorn » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:39 am

I'll try that! Usually don't get revs above 3000, 3500 max, maybe I need to wind her up a bit more...
Mudhorn
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:39 pm

One thing also to check is that the throttle is opening fully. I checked mine and foot was flat with about 15 degrees left to turn at the pump. Adjusting this made a huge difference
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Engines and Exhaust