• Advertisement

Increased boost but cant get enough!

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Increased boost but cant get enough!

Postby lewis » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Hey guys

My truck is a 2.8TD Non-intercooled, manual, 340ks on it. Standard exhaust, standard airbox with all the piping removed so feeds directly beside headlight.
I have T'd in the boost gauge to the hose going from the manifold to the boost compensator (there was already T with a hose coming off it and it was plugged with a screw. Was reading 10psi standard (foot flat bout 3k revs in 3rd) as I expected.
I put my manual boost controller (2nd hand GFB atomic - bleed type, see http://www.gfb.com.au/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=18) in the hose on the turbo from the manifold to wastegate, connected with the arrow pointing away from the manifold. Hose clamped the connections to the boost controller.
Apparantely with this boost controller, max boost is with the adjuster fully screwed out. So I started with it a few turns from fully in and headed to some nearby hills. Worked it out till it seemed to make no difference, however im only getting to 12psi, even if its fully screwed out. This is in 3rd and 4th year high revs foot flat. I think the boost gauge is accurate as 10psi standard (right?) was observed.
Yet to turn the fuel screw in a bit - wanting an EGT gauge first.

Im wanting 15 psi :)
Thoughts on how to get this/why I cant seem to get this?

Thanks
lewis
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 91 Mu

Re: Increased boost but cant get enough!

Postby geeves » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:21 pm

Boost isnt everything but it helps. Ive been running 14 for several years but recently noticed on a hill that was always a struggle in 4th suddenly became easy and I only had 10 pound on the guage. Dont know why but it used to be 80k at the bottom to hold 60 at the top but I was cruising in traffic 60 at the bottom and half way up was still at 60 3/4 throttle 65 at the top (50 limit)
Try removing the hose between the turbo and wastgate and temporarily seal the ends. This disables the wastegate completely so you should get max boost. When you say high revs etc I would suggest finding a hill where you can hold say 2500 to 3000 revs at full throttle so the engine remains at max load. You should then get 15 to 17 psi. If the engine is hitting peak revs there is not enough load on it
Things that rob boost
Air cleaner. A paper air cleaner if new is ok if its a good brand but if its slightly dirty boost drops. K&N or Finner filters are the way to go long term but around 120 each
Induction system. The bighorn has a stupid pipe that runs to behind the battery. It tiny inside and 1.5 meters long. Removeing it will help but it exposes the airbox to water. Snorkle is best way.
Exhaust. Standard 2 inch exhaust with standard muffler robs airflow. If its like mine was it will have had mud wash back up into the muffler so it will be even worse. 2.5 inch exhaust is the way to go. Doing it from below the dump pipe gives good gains but if you can afford to do the dump pipe its better. Mine still has original dump pipe
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: Increased boost but cant get enough!

Postby lewis » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:57 am

Even 12 it seems way nicer at high revs. The hills I found were long so plenty of time to hold high revs. I have never thrashed the truck like that before haha. I pretty much never exceed 3k revs or drive with foot flat on the road.
Yep a mate suggested taking off thehose and seeing if I hit the overboost. He seemed surprised I got to 12 with standard exhaust and air filter.
I ripped my K&N Apollo filter off my VR4 today (going to sell it) so might put this on, might also be able to make it into a snorkel with some mods. Ive removed all that piping rubbish to the battery a few years ago and it made a difference.
Yep I need to cut out the muffler I think as a cheap starter on the exhaust side.
Thanks!
lewis
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 91 Mu

Return to Engines and Exhaust