• Advertisement

electric fans

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

electric fans

Postby geeves » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:37 pm

After removing all the skin from my arms removing the radiator to clean it.(see post in faults) Ive been thinking about an electric fan.
I picked up a double fan out of a Pulsar which is sitting in the garage waiting a rainy day when I have time to design mounts etc but was then having second thoughts.
The different cowling design will alloy easier cleaning in place but will it also mean that when it does clog up it will be more prone to overheat?
How much clearance do I need to stop the fan blades eating the radiator in water?
Where does everyone put the temp sensor to start and stop the fan? Ideal place is in the bottom of the radiator but the pulsar radiator did not have it there. Fitting it to the thermostat housing will work but the fan will come on earlier and run longer. What temp sender do I need?
A cunning thought I had was to remove the cold start sensor and rewire this to a manual button on the dash so If I think its cold so will the engine. Obviously this will be a non locking switch. Is this a good idea? It will leave a suitable hole in the thermostat housing.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: electric fans

Postby pig75 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:09 pm

You can by or make a fitting that goes into the bottom hose and screw the sender into that. Jaycar have a good kit for controlling fans it has adjustable start and stop temps. I have my fans mounted high on the radiator so if i am going through water the fans should be off before the water gets to them. ( the water should have cooled the radiator down enough too turn the fans off) I also have a switch on the dash so the fans can be on, off, or auto and a LED to show when the fans are on
Jaycar kit http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... BCATID=347
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby MUVIT » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:42 pm

there's about 3 different types of twin thermos on ebay aus :chev camero style . Au ba falcon style : hq . Hx basicly reverse au ba style . I wanted 2 go au ba style but 2 big . Not enough room between fan & a'c unit so i went the chev style . Had 2 shave alot of plastic in fan and a/c area & cut down the width. These r a 2 speed fan & i dont think my mate wired them right from the start. We wired 1 fan 2 run off ignition & the other off thermo switch. Lasted about a year but aleast 10 water crossins without fan kill switch didnt help at all. 2day i changed 2 the hq hx style . The fans r a 1 speed design & fit better just had 2 trim the width
MUVIT
Isuzu Guru

City: Darwin
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 96

Postby Captcol » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:55 am

You guys with electric fans, are you removing the viscous unit and putting these on the back of the radiator or on the front behind the grill?
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby pig75 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:29 am

Mine is on the back
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby geeves » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:24 am

If you can do on the front you prevent the fan ever touching the radiator so this is the ideal way. Dont work so good tho if you still have air con. Mine will be on the back.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby iananita » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:47 pm

I think you would find the fan blades on an electric fan would either stop in water(burn out the motor), not work because of the water or blades are usually too thin to cause any damage to the radiator. With a kill switch on the fans this would avoid any damage to the radiator.

When I did my fan build on the Rodeo (4JB1) I used the thermostat housing, found a Tridon thermo-switch to fit in the blanked off hole. Fans only ran at 87*C (fixed temp) or when A/C on.

By the way, with a shroud around the electric fans it would be harder to clean the radiator in the vehicle.
iananita
Isuzu Senior

City: Redcliffe
Vehicle: 1995 3.1 Jackaroo

Return to Engines and Exhaust