• Advertisement

Cam Belt on 2.3L ('91 Pick-up)

Getting the best performance from your Isuzu, the in's and out's

Cam Belt on 2.3L ('91 Pick-up)

Postby LilRed » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:04 am

Hello all - I had my water pump go out a few days ago and was thinking about replacing the timing belt while I was at it...(note: I am still awaiting a reply from the previous owner as to if had been changed out before the change in ownership).

So much of this truck has its original parts, without his response, I'm inclined to believe the original belt is still on it.

Please excuse my novice questions, but Q1: do I have to remove the cam belt cover to replace the pump?

Q2: If I must, and I find out the timing belt has not been changed, how can I tell if it needs replacing on visual inspection?
I "sort of" understand about my 2.3 being an "interference" engine - meaning in so many words, "if you're not sure, replace the damn belt or else"... but I was wondering if there are any telltale signs to look for.

Q3: I've never replaced a timing belt, so as I look at the manual, I can feel my brain glazing over and I'm not sure about everything being mentioned, like having the crankshaft turned to TDC (top dead center, yes I get THAT) for the 1st cylinder. It's been 30 years since I've been inside a motor - not since I was a teenager - and I'm not sure what that looks like from my perspective leaning over the front of the truck, smokin a stogie.

Q4: Are there hard & fast rules when changing out a timing belt? For instance, should the tensioners be replaced ALWAYS? (Any ways to determine if they need to be replaced?)

Q5: Lastly, if there are any tricks & rules, what are they and should I just leave it to a mechanic? (I ask because I'm just about dead broke, being an artist and all)
Kevin Obregon
The Cube Creative
Dallas, Texas
www.TheCubeCreative.com
LilRed
Isuzu Baby

City: Dallas
Vehicle: I just bought a 1991 Pick-up. SWB. All original oem parts. 95,000 miles. Steelies. Orig. spare, near perfect interior, no leaks, cracks. Some scratches, dents and scrapes.... $1750 cash. Purrs like a well-fed cat.

Re: Cam Belt on 2.3L ('91 Pick-up)

Postby pig75 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:53 am

I would replace the timing belt on the 4ZD1 every 60,000 miles
The belt is easy to change take all the fan belts off and the top cam belt cover off. Turn the motor to TDC you should see a dimple on the cam gear line up with a line on the plate at the back of the gear. If it's not there it's on BDC and you need too turn the crank one more turn
Capture.JPG

Then remove the bottom pulley. I find it easy if you put it in top gear too lock the motor and remove the pulley bolt.
Take the bottom cam belt cover off. Release the tensioner and remove the belt. With the belt off give the tensioner a spin and see if it runs smooth then put a new belt on and put it all back together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby LilRed » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:13 am

Thanks, Pig75!! Greatness.... BTW, what's the easiest way to turn the motor to TDC? By hand or maybe the big bolt in the center of where the H20 pump was? (of course, before the belt is removed) Also, how well should the tensioner spin? Easy (keeps on spinning) or just smoothly, with no wobble or rough friction? Lastly, are there any telltale visual signs I should look for re: the belt needing to be replaced? Thanks in advance - REALLY appreciate the advice, my friend.
Kevin Obregon
The Cube Creative
Dallas, Texas
www.TheCubeCreative.com
LilRed
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: I just bought a 1991 Pick-up. SWB. All original oem parts. 95,000 miles. Steelies. Orig. spare, near perfect interior, no leaks, cracks. Some scratches, dents and scrapes.... $1750 cash. Purrs like a well-fed cat.

Postby pig75 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:57 am

Pull the spark plugs out then use a socket on the bottom pulley bolt
just smoothly, with no wobble or rough friction
If the numbers on the smooth side of the belt have worn i would replace
A belt is cheaper than valves gaskets and possibly a head
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby geeves » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:55 pm

also turn the belt inside out and twist. Any cracking says replace. By the time you got this far you might as well put a new belt in.Also the idler Any play or roughness says replace
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby LilRed » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:00 am

Thanks geeves - I'll do that. X your fingers!
Kevin Obregon
The Cube Creative
Dallas, Texas
www.TheCubeCreative.com
LilRed
Isuzu Baby

Return to Engines and Exhaust